Drawing of my Grand Prix

Scottster

One of my classes is visual communication (vis-com as we call it), where you learn to do just that...communicate ideas, forms, and anything three dimensional, in 2D.

The course specifically is a transportation design viscom, and thus the assignments pertain to anything that you can lable a vehicle.

Anyway, this week the assignment was white cars, to which we had to do a whole series.

I have really improved alot over this semester, partally due to the awesome instructor. He's on the design staff at GM...which makes for som intersting insight into the industry (although he has to be careful how much he tells us!)

I chose to do the Grand Prix as one of my "white vehicular objects", so I thought I'd share the result with you guys. I thought it turned out pretty good, although the perspective is a tad wonkey. The image didn't scan in with to much contrast...it looked alot better on the wall.

In the inital sketch, I had the car doing a sideways slide, so it was hunkered down to the left. After rendering it, it just looks like a huge wheel-to-body ratio. :sad: Oh well.

GrandPrixrendering.jpg

lol Thanks guys.

A rendering like that takes about 2 hours at the most. You learn to get pretty quick at them, when you have 8 million other assignments to do too.

I'd be glad to do a few drawing for you guys, when I find the time. With less than 4 weeks left in the semester, I'm in a crunch to get everything polished up for review, which is our final evaluation for the year.

Nice sketch!

Anything interesting he has told you guys that you can clue us in on?

Well, according to him, GM design is really just picking up steam. The models out now should look pretty boring, relative to the new things in the pipeline. I asked him if Bob Lutz really was all he was cooked up to be, or if it was just a media front. He said Lutz has broken down barriers that the designers used to face, and are now given much more freedom to be creative. The next gen. G6 and Lacross are nearly completed, and they are just arguing over subtle details in terms of moving a headlight 3mm up or down, etc. The designs are much more dynamic and bold than the current bland-tastic ones. There are a few other GM people around the school, and they all say they love what's going on at work, and there are alot of people working hard to get GM design back in the lead of the pack.

Really inspiring stuff, I think

Typically they are about 5 years ahead of what is on the showroom floor. For example the C7 Covette is just begining the sketching and ideation stage.

damn buddy, you've got skills! i wont ask you to draw mine, as i already know what it looks like. :lol:

as for the info your proff said, that makes me really anxious to see the next gen of GM vehicles.

I would so buy those sawblades in 17-18in form if they made them. Thats sweet!

And you are a very good artist!