Lumina owners! I need radio opening pics!

Dirty Rockstar

Also measurements! I need to know the depth of the opening from whatever it hits behind the deck out to the edge of the dash trim around it.. Also, I forget WHAT is behind the radio.. I THINK it's the Vacuum Actuator Assy. for the HVAC.. Show me what you all have! THanks a lot.. I am going to probably get the Alpine 7998 and flush mount it to make it look as stock as I can..

flush mounting will probably not be possible. I was able to shoehorn in the 95+ chevy radio into my lumina by lengthening the heavy guage plug (for the fan) for thh hvac controller effectively moving it from behind the radio and giving me a bit more space.

add about 1/2 inch to the stock deck and that would be all you might get :(

Hmm.. Well, as long as I can get the face of this deck to sit perfectly flush with the rest of the trim panel on the dash, I will be happy.. I don't car what I need to do underneath the dash to do it.. The dash is out.. THat's why I want to see what I need to do.. Modifying things is something I'm not afraid of!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/1990lumina/Dscn1205.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/1990lumina/Dscn1206.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/1990lumina/Dscn1210.jpg

That's the Kenwood KDC-5028 in there, and I have RCA cables sticking out the back as well going to my amp....it's wedged int there pretty hard..but I REFUSED to use that other dash plate that sticks out..looks horrible IMO

All I remember was there is a bundle of shit wrapped with foam where the H/U goes at the back towards the top....I guess I got lucky with it fitting, or my pos Kenwood is smaller?

Jeff, didn't you have a factory CD deck in your car?!

Yup, sure did. It's in my garage in the drawer next to the factory cassette player. After spending like $250 on getting the player fixed it still wouldn't play CDs sometimes, so I decided fuck it.

flush mounting IS possible, you need to slightly melt the ducts behind the dash, my cousin and i are going to do it to my indash TV this summer

They aren't too awful thick. If I were you, I'd pull the dash, cut out a long enough slot so the deck will fit in flush, then place a piece of ABS where you cut out, and use some high strength, high temp epoxy and put it all back together.

THat was my intention on getting it to fit deeper in the dash.. That's why if anyone happens to have the deck out of their Lumina, I would like to see what is in the back.. I know how to do it, I jsut need to know what I have to cut..

mine will always look like shit. The head unit i have in there now is almost popping out of its holder. I had to take off the dash pad to make sure no wires were pinched, and i am not even running rca wires. My deck is kinda cool though. it is a jvc and it has the top and bottom trillium lights and when i remove the trim the lights bounce off the sides of the dash trim for the cluster. I will have to post a pic in action :mrgreen:

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.