Something wrong with my GP (I think so :( )

cardboard

Hey,

I got a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix with 160,000KM (low, I guess) on it. Its having some problems lately though. I know a little bit about cars, but this just doesnt make sense.

Ok.. The car is perfectly fine, when driven normally. But when I start to fool around (go above 3,500-4,000 RPM) the car starts makin this ticking sound at idle, which increases in speed as you go faster. It almost sounds like a damn DIESEL!!! Its LOUD, you can hear it well in the cabin with the window rolled down. But then after I leave the car off for a little and turn it back on, its back to normal. I dont think the performance decreases at all, although i cant tell because I cant remember how it ran before it started doing this.

As far as I know, the ticking sound is coming from the engine. But the wierd thing is that the sound isn't constant, it only starts happening when I rev the car fairly high, and then it goes on until I turn off the car and wait a little while.

Oh yeah, and recently I got the catalytic converter and the muffler changed, and this sound started to happen after this repair. I dont think it is related to it. But im not too sure.

I personally think that something is messed with the car, but since it aint really mine (its my moms :P ) I dont want to make it seem like I did it. So that is why im trying to see if it is serious or not (I think it is :oops: )

Oh yeah , and it may be related to the time that I went 190KM/H in the car, it just doesnt seem the same since then. I feel like such a dumba$$ :oops:

Does anyone know what could be wrong? I just dont get why the sound goes away and comes back :?: Its pretty wierd.

Oh ya, and if no one knows what it is, Ill try my best to get a video clip with sound of the car running so you can hear how it sounds like.

Thanks! Hopefully its only a minor problem, and I can get it fixed.

(Sry for the long post , lol)

But when I start to fool around (go above 3,500-4,000 RPM) the car starts makin this ticking sound at idle, which increases in speed as you go faster.

Lifters.

Werd. Check the oil level in the car.