Plastic Valve covers??? BARF

Panopticon

MY valve covers really look plastic on my 3.8L series I....are they?!?!

No, they are not.

Sounds like they need to be buffed / polised out!

- RedFox340

are they're any aftermarket ones that are already polished? Would it be cheaper to go that way? i have no idea what it was cost to chrome something.

are they're any aftermarket ones that are already polished? Would it be cheaper to go that way? i have no idea what it was cost to chrome something.

Aftermarket? You expecting a power boost with new covers? :shock: Umm.. okay... :lol:

Head to a junkyard, rip off a pair, sandblast and powder-coat them, and install on your motor.

Simple = less than $50 will get that job done... at least around here will...

- RedFox340

haha no im not expecting power boost! LOL

They just look like plastic and ass. I do'nt know how much chroming or polishing or powder coating would cost so i asked about aftermarket :-P

BTW, if you want some "real" rocker arm/valve covers, then try finding a 88-89 Buick Lesabre, they have aluminum valve covers that will fit, although you might have to buy a plug and some gasket sealant since I do believe they have an extra PCV hole on the front cover....just a suggestion!!!! I'm sure other Buicks(chevys, etc.) w/ the 3800 from 88-89 have the aluminum ones also, hope this helps!

hmm thats definitly something to consider. thanks! I have a contact with access to a hydro-forming maching, but would probably cost $400 for a pair of alumn. chrome plated covers. The 88-89 idea sounds much more reasonable. but probably woulnd't look as ..cool :D

hmm thats definitly something to consider. thanks! I have a contact with access to a hydro-forming maching, but would probably cost $400 for a pair of alumn. chrome plated covers. The 88-89 idea sounds much more reasonable. but probably woulnd't look as ..cool :D

you can always polish the 88-89 aluminum ones....just search for "polishing" or something similar on here, there are a few posts that show what grit paper and whatnot to use, for about $30-$40(depending upon how much materials cost in your area) or so, you can make them shine/look close to chrome.

great thanks!

ohya...Are these plastic ones even that bad? I know they look horrable but im guessing its pretty damn tough stuff if it can take the heat and pressure.

haha no im not expecting power boost! LOL

They just look like plastic and ass. I do'nt know how much chroming or polishing or powder coating would cost so i asked about aftermarket :-P

You'd NEVER like a Series II 3800! If you think your Series I is to plasticy, check out the newer one! I personally like the looks of my Series II, and the power that comes with it! :twisted:

Aaron