me vs. 3400 t-stat

Crimson Fury Z

it had thrown a p0128, the coolant temp sensor was ok, so i went w/the t-stat, which had started to get stuck open. so i finally get the stat and gaskets, oh i figured since i was going to be under the hood i'd go ahead and get the delco rapid fires. yesterday was the day to get dirtah! what i thought was an easy job, got ugly. its like i had to tear the top end apart to get to the stat! :lol: then when i got to the stat, the bottom screw is inaccessible to a socket w/o removing the manifolds and or crossover. so i found a wrench, which was too long for the spacing i had to work in, but made it work. then i had to reassemble the mess. got it done and missed 24 :mad:. i got filled in today by a co-worker :biggrin:. i ended up w/a washer nut left over. everything is running normal again :burnout:

final thoughts: what was the engine designer thinking of!? the LQ1 has the advantage over the 3400 in the d.i.y department. oh, the spark plugs.....hell no! i'll wait till its time to do them! :lol:.

Damn, I guess it's 3500 Top-End swap time for me when The IMPALER's t-stat shits the bed :lol: . Might as well if I have to tear the sucker down just to get to the stat!

come on now. Get the guts to bend that piece of shit crossover heat shield a little, and it becomes a 20 minute job. And I'm not a half-assed worker, but I just really really hate that fucking heat shield (anyone who needed to remove it should agree)

come on now. Get the guts to bend that piece of shit crossover heat shield a little, and it becomes a 20 minute job. And I'm not a half-assed worker, but I just really really hate that fucking heat shield (anyone who needed to remove it should agree)

Indeed. I have so many cuts on my hands from that x-over heat shield and the rear manifold heat shield. Fucking things need to die.

you know whats the worst part? i realized i didn't put sealer on the intake manifold gaskets! :lol: looks like i'll have to go back in on my next evening off! :willynilly:

you know whats the worst part? i realized i didn't put sealer on the intake manifold gaskets! :lol: looks like i'll have to go back in on my next evening off! :willynilly:

what? are you talking about the LIM gasket? did you use a metal permaseal one?

what? are you talking about the LIM gasket? did you use a metal permaseal one?

I don't even think they make those anymore K... I think they are only available for the 3.1L now. Those were on thier way out 2 years ago, and since fel-pro came out with that perma-dry rubber set, the cost of the original composite graphite type is almost as low as the laminated bi-metal ones used to be. I haven't seen any in a loooong time, and I know victor reinz and fel-pro both stopped production. I remember when I did my 3.1L.... I hated that crap gasket, they are soooo much harder to clean off when replacing.

And as for the sealer, I don't think you're supposed to use it, even on the gaskets in question.

uppers, i'm scared to go deeper into the engine :razz:. i do have the metal lim gaskets. got the fel-pro set. i found a tube of seal all(oil & gas resistant!). now is that useable for gaskets or should i get the standard gasket sealer?