Replacing Red trim.

Scottster

As some of you might remember when I posted the pics of my GP, the faded/weathered/messed up trim around the car drives me nuts the most about the car.

The strip on the sides is still red, although the lamination is begining to peel away. The front and back bumper were completely shot. I used an exacto-knife to remove all of the chipping, cracked remains of the red vinyl coating, so now it is AT LEAST consistently gray...not all random and %$#% up.

My question is, where can I get a bulk roll of this red trim? It seems like something that would be sold per foot or something, as it is just an adhesive strip. I would hope at least!

I went to an autobody supply, but they wanted $80 for the whole trim piece, front or back - black plastic housing and all.

Does anyone have any leads for a product like this?

Thanks!

You can see here how the back trim is grey, where the side is still red (almost)

grandprix005.jpg

And how it should look...

dsash0003.jpg

No, I like the red. I thought about painting it, but am not sure how well that would turn out. Even if I carefully masked it and everything, I'm not sure the paint would adhere, as the lamination is still coming of in layers :sad:

I'm sure these strips are available...after all they do make aftermarket bodyside mouldings and the like. I'll try to find out where they sourced this stuff from, and maybe I can buy a bulk roll or something.

GO to a parts shop that sells body shop supplies, and services body shops. (My dad's shop sells 3m trims, PPG paints, spray guns, etc).. The 3M trim is what you'd be looking for.. We looked up once to get the vinyl type trim you have (I was actually lookin for my 87 6000 at the time) and they sell it in widths as thick as a couple hairs on up.. This is NOT pinstriping, so don't be confused by it.. It is of the same style as what you have presently on your car (Heavy, vinyl-like stuff)

Well, the update...

I went to a couple autobody suppliers in the detroit area, and described what I was looking for. They had all kinds of examples of stick-on trim that were offered, but none that matched the GP's.

Discouraged, I checked out the website of the place I had already been to here in Windsor...only sometimes it pays to look for yourself! The guys had obviously quoted me for the wrong part, as the "impact strips" as the catalogue calls them, were $40 each.

Check it out...

http://www.crosscanadaparts.com/cgi-bin/crosscanada/product_list.html?img_num=843

When I got my car painted last summer it did the trim just fine.

I took it off my front bumper and just painted it over. But the rear looks good.

HPIM1040.jpg

Best pic for my front.

IMG_2546.jpg