GTP upgrade/maintenance thread

sl3196

Well as soon as I get my tax return I plan on doing a shitload of maintenance and hopefully upgrading to the GTP. Mainly going to focus on suspension but got some other stuff to do as well. I'll post the parts and stuff I plan on doing and lemme know if I'm missing something. I'll link most of this stuff from zzp just cause it makes it easier. I'll look for deals when I actually get the money haha.

KYB GR-2 Struts $239.99 (this is a for sure thing, my struts are really worn out)

Struts

GMPP Rear Sway Bar $66.99

Rear Sway Bar

Yokohama Avid V4S $89.00 (need 2)

Tires

Eibach Lowering Kit ($232) (this one is if I can get the fender fixed cheap)

Lowering Kit

Also I plan on changing alot of the fluids and filters:

Transmission Fluid + filter

Coolant + Purple ICE additive

Fuel Filter

I'll need an alignment with the new struts and springs. ($80ish?)

And the big thing will be getting that right front fender fixed. I found one in a yard close by for $125. Doesn't sound too bad and I don't want to get another one shipped cause my last one got fucked up. (I'm also going to look into getting that one fixed, not sure if it can be done cheap) I plan on putting the fender on myself, I don't think it should be that hard. Any tips on that? Also anyone got a fender painted before? Wondering how much you paid to get it done. Oh ya need to do brakes too. Probably just go with white box rotors and some good pads unless I find a nice deal on upgraded stuff. I'll add more to this thread when I think of it, just needed a place to write all this shit down haha.

1 - why buy just the rear sway bar? you can get the whole GMPP kit for around $150 shipped, from gmpartsdirect.

2 - alot of people think the eibachs are too stiff, and they will give you pogo. thats why most people opt for the less harsh gen 2 ssc springs from zzp. either way, get zzp's anti-pogo washers, they are only $30.

3 - you will need spring compressors to replace your struts just so ya know.

4 - if you want a cheap upgrade to your brakes, just get the brackets from from the 2000+ monte's and impala's. i got mine for $44 from a j/y. then when you go buy your rotors, get them for the 2000+ monte or impala. it uses the same caliper that you have. btw these rotors are 1" bigger than what you have now.

5 - i have an extra trans filter if you want to buy it, made in the USA. just pay for shipping, which would only be a couple dollars. you could also install a shift kit while you service your trans. ZZP's is real cheap, but if you buy their shift kit, it comes with a filter(i didnt know this, hence why i have an extra) so you wouldnt need to buy mine. :sad:

good choice on the tires. and yes alignments can run from $50-$100. while you are doing all this, inspect your balljoints and tie rod ends, replace if necessary.

1 - why buy just the rear sway bar? you can get the whole GMPP kit for around $150 shipped, from gmpartsdirect.

2 - alot of people think the eibachs are too stiff, and they will give you pogo. thats why most people opt for the less harsh gen 2 ssc springs from zzp. either way, get zzp's anti-pogo washers, they are only $30.

3 - you will need spring compressors to replace your struts just so ya know.

4 - if you want a cheap upgrade to your brakes, just get the brackets from from the 2000+ monte's and impala's. i got mine for $44 from a j/y. then when you go buy your rotors, get them for the 2000+ monte or impala. it uses the same caliper that you have. btw these rotors are 1" bigger than what you have now.

5 - i have an extra trans filter if you want to buy it, made in the USA. just pay for shipping, which would only be a couple dollars. you could also install a shift kit while you service your trans. ZZP's is real cheap, but if you buy their shift kit, it comes with a filter(i didnt know this, hence why i have an extra) so you wouldnt need to buy mine. :sad:

good choice on the tires. and yes alignments can run from $50-$100. while you are doing all this, inspect your balljoints and tie rod ends, replace if necessary.

good advice, i would buy the whole GMPP kit. i'd also go for something other than Eibachs as i've heard the pogo effect is bad with those. i do have spring compressors so if you wanted to we could do it over at my garage.

Ahh cool those ssc springs are cheaper too haha. If I get that fender fixed cheap I'll for sure get the whole gmpp kit, I was just trying to do a few upgrades.

Woot guess what came in the mail today?? :) Going to get my fender saturday hopefully. Also going to look out for those monte/impala brackets. Is that just the front brackets are or the rears bigger too?

Well the gtp got a little fucked on this deal haha. I did order the struts, strut mounts, s/c oil, new intake tubing and 2 new tires for it though. Also changed the tranny fluid on saturday and plan on doing the coolant and fuel filter next week. I kinda pissed away some of the money and the I ordered some stuff for the lebaron. The GTS is getting +20 injectors, Adjustible FPR, Autometer boost and a/f gauges. Should be able to run it at 20psi or so and it should walk the GTP haha. Still going to fix that fender on the GTP! Going to the yard next weekend hopefully.