My g/fs 92' international caught on fire

ihateallmustangs

We picked her car up from the shop after the front cradle seperated from the chassis weeks ago. The trip was about 1 hour away. About 45mins into the drive the car started shuttering the tach was bounceing all over the place and you could here boom , boom , boom comming from the engine bay. I pulled over and right near the cat was all in flames. I quicly looked for somthing to put it out with but couldnt find anything and figured it was only a matter of time before the fire hit the gas tank, and it did.. I ran back a few feet as it spread over into the trunk area and blew both rear tires. The gas cap shot out and it looked like a flame thrower comming out the sides. I still smell like burnt plastic. By the time the fire trucks arrived all that was left was the front of the car basicly from the dash on. Anyone have any ideas how this started? The fire cheif ruled it as a mechanical issue. I am thinking the shop had a part in this.

I would also like to add the car burnt 1/2 a tank of gas in about a 40km range. I could not smell a leak so I did not bother to check as the car has a idleing issue.

No april fools here. Make an offer on the car I am in ontario. The car is loaded , HUD power lumbars ,graphite. Not sure what they want to do with it but if anyone wants it drop me a PM its a LQ1 yes. Tranny shifts good motor has 298,000kms and idles at 1500rpm for some reason. I was just bringing it here to use for parts. It has a new gas tank ,sending unit and had brand spanken new rear struts which I wanted. Not sure how these things work but the car is in a towing yard at the moment. My g/f does not want the car.

Dibs on the HUD if it's still usable. :lol:

The dash survived , as well as seats. Everything from the back seat to the trunk is destroyed.

leather? wait. they got wrecked it sound like.

how much for this car? I'll start with a large box of pizza rolls.

and where is it? do you think it can be fixed or is it totally burned out?

The seats are not leather. Yes I think she has the stock cd player but it does not play cds all the time. Usually ejects them. She is still waiting for the insurance company as the car was fully covered.

yeah as far as wrecks and fires go, its much better to have your car burn on you then get smashed up. They always pay over the price for burned cars, seeing as how most everything is destroyed, including belongings. Sorry to hear that she caught fire. At least no one was hurt.

Well, it kinda sounds like gas was dumping into a cylinder and then collecting in the cat until it ignited. That was probably the booming you were hearing. Do the LQ1's have steel or plastic lines near the cat?

The seats are not leather. Yes I think she has the stock cd player but it does not play cds all the time. Usually ejects them. She is still waiting for the insurance company as the car was fully covered.

where is the car at?

• 2 weeks later...

The car is now at a collision place so the insurance company can take a look. No news yet. They are slow as hell. As always when it comes to to coughing up money.

aaw that really sucks. Thats a bunch of shit. I would be extremely upset if my car caught on fire. Definately want to know what exactly caused something like that to happen. Not an everyday thing thats for sure

• 2 weeks later...