Video of creaking/grinding/popping in my Lumina

1990lumina

Alrighty, I've fixed most of the small mechanically issues with my car, but I can't figure out what is wrong here...

This noise, as heard in the video when I turn the wheel from lock-to-lock appears, and has been happening for a year now. I'm unsure of what the problem is, because I'm not to familiar with front end components. I'm not even sure it's a front end problem, but seeing how it happens when I turn the wheel that is what it seems like!

And, this is the same noise I was complaining about in my other thread...it'll make part of that sound sometimes if I stop at a red light..when the car's weight shifts back it'll go "pop-pop-pop", etc..

Anyways, I'm not sure what it is but I hope one of you guys can help me!

The sound in that video is like a floor creaking almost..you can hear it when I'm turning the wheel almost to lock, both locks..

Vid (6.mb .avi) http://media.putfile.com/DSCN2968

Thanks a ton!

Hmm, shit I dunno how else to record it...it's definately something in the front end...it'll do it when I put the car in park and it rolled back/forward, etc...it'll do it anytime there is stress put on the front end...I just on't know what's doing it...sorry I thought that video had the noise in it more...maybe I'm just so used to hearing it I know what to listen for...

My TGP does the same thing- caused by seized rear struts. It creaks and pops when going around corners, especially tight corners like in a cul-de-sac. (sp?) My guess would be the struts.

Rear or front struts?? My rear struts were replaced last year with Monroe Sensatracs...I honestly can hear it coming from the front of the car....I guess i'll live with it...just wanted to fix it when it comes time to sell the buyer doesn't ask me to explain all the small noises and rattles and stuff lol

Idk which struts are making it make the noise... all I know is that my rear struts are seized, and my fronts are REALLY worn out- looks like it has been lowered 2" up front lol.

I heard it, you might be best getting someone else to crank the wheel while you physically look for the noise, us from afar won't be able to diagnose any better than that... but do you think a 17 year old car is going to be worth much in good or poor shape? accept it Jeff... you're basically bound to your W for life. fortuneatly I own enough of them to not have to buy a non W ever again! :P

Well, the car is also pulling to the right all the time..it's noticeable, but not major (and there is no irregular wear of the tires either)...I might be better off taking it for an alignment, and they can tell me if I need ot replace anything (places do that for free)...though I might get my sister or someone to turn the wheel back and forth....I might take and do it with the motor off too......

I'll get back to this thread tonight if I have a chance!

Thanks for the help thus far..and I know Ken, I will probably be stuck with this car forever - therefore I wanna get it fixed up lol...nah, if this noise is something that's just old and groaning that's fine..but if it's something like strut bearings or ball joints or something I want to fix it. As long as it isn't the steering rack I don't care...the rack was recently replaced lol

My 96 makes the same exact noise. My 90 makes a noise but it doesn't sound like that and I know it's the rack. I've learned to live with both sounds.

Lower Spring Seat, or Rack...

I'd bet lower spring seat though, they do that a lot on higher mileage W's

I jacked the car up a bit tonight, and turned the wheel lock to lock without the engine on..and it's definately coming rom the left front strut area.

Lower Spring Seat, or Rack...

I'd bet lower spring seat though, they do that a lot on higher mileage W's

I jacked the car up a bit tonight, and turned the wheel lock to lock without the engine on..and it's definately coming rom the left front strut area.

try spraying the spring seat with silicone spray or wd-40?

Here is something you can try that may help confirm a bad lower spring seat assembly.

With gloves on and the car off and emergency brake on.

Reach in over the front tire and grab the lower spring seat with both hands.

See how far you can rotate the spring seat in both directions against coil spring torque.

A good lower spring seat bearing assembly should rotate smoothly in both directions 10* to 20*.

For clarification for myself, what is exactly the spring seat? I'm assuming it is where the bottom of the spring seats/sits, but I dunno for sure!

Yes you are correct.

Q-Ball has good pictures in this thread.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,55857.0.html

The third picture down shows a new lower spring seat and bearing plate assembly.

In the picture you see the plate is oval with an ear on ether side. When you reach in above the tire you will grab these ears and twist.

Guess if you have larger than 17†rims it may be hard to reach over them.

Here is something you can try that may help confirm a bad lower spring seat assembly.

See how far you can rotate the spring seat in both directions against coil spring torque.

A good lower spring seat bearing assembly should rotate smoothly in both directions 10* to 20*.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Most of them time when they are bad enough that they make noise, you can just have an assistant turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the spring seat from inside the wheel well. You will be able to seat the seat bind a little and snap around if its bad enough to make noise.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Most of them time when they are bad enough that they make noise, you can just have an assistant turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the spring seat from inside the wheel well. You will be able to seat the seat bind a little and snap around if its bad enough to make noise.

Is this done with the car on the ground, do do I want to have that wheel off the ground?

Okay, I can move the spring seat left and right about 2 inchs either way. How easy should it be to move this thing? I can move it, but I can hear something grinding when moving it back and forth..almost like the seat is full of gravel or something. It does move though, just takes a bit of force.

Well, it should take a little bit of effort, because you are twisting the spring, but the seat should be smooth. It should be a fluid movement, the only resistance should be from the spring pressure, not the bearing seat. the gravely feel means its a bad bearing.

Is it possible both sides will be worn out? The gravelly feeling is felt when turning both sides, right and left wheels. Oh well, at least I kmow what the problem is!

Thanks for the help diagnosing!