preview of my first active setup

stockgp

here's everything. tang band 6.5" mid bass, dayton rs125 5" mid range, and lpg 25nfa textile tweets all sitting on a 95 lumi. the last pic is the beginning of the door pods that will house the daytons. they will fit exactly in place of the factory speaker covers.

th_100_0266.jpg

th_100_0265.jpg

th_100_0264.jpg

i'm not thinking about a crossover at all

down the road, maybe something like this... http://mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=14144&d_Id=5247&l1=5247&l2=

as far as room, the 6.5s in kick pods are going to be a pain in the ass. after i do the 5 speed swap, i'll be kicking the driver's side one constantly. i imagine i'll be redesigning the door pods to house both the 6.5s and 5s in the future.

I've heard awesome things about the Tang Bands. One of my local car audio buddies built a 5th order bandpass for it, powered with a small amp. Easy 140's, EXCELLENT sq.

Those Dayton's are nice as hell also. I wouldn't mind a set of those myself.

werd. i actually got the tang bands on another forum. brand new, half price. the daytons came from parts express and the lpg 25nfa tweets came from madisound.com.

all i need now is an amp to put some decent power to the tweets. they are 8 ohm, and i'm not sure what to get that'll give me about 40 watts at 8 ohms

Kinda a hard range to be shooting for.

What amp do you plan on running for all of the mids?

Yeah, madisound.com is an awesome place as well. I've been eyeing the Seas tweeters that they sell for a while now, but I'll see how my JBL's sound first. I'm afraid my JBL's may be too sharp since they are metal, but on the other hand, silk tweeters sound almost too mushy (maybe thats not quite the word i'm looking for) to my ears.

BTW, I should really post up pictures of my current fiberglassing project.

If you haven't, join up on http://www.fiberglassforums.com, great place!

for the daytons, i'm using a nine.2 and for the tang bands i'm using a pg xenon 400.1

i think i'm a member on fgforums, but i haven't been on there in a big minute

Well.... heres what I have gathered on the tweeters, take the info as it is.

For the best imaging, they say to place the tweeters no more than 6" away from the woofers. This being said, place them in the enclosure as well.

But.... I have also read on some SQ boards that placing them up in the sail panels (that little triangular area where the rear view mirror is on the front doors) and aiming them across the dash at each other. But... you want to be sure that the dash isn't going to interfere with the music as well, and with the guage cluster buldge, you may run into some problem.

Really... if you wanna get crazy with it, use some double sided tape, and go to town placing them all over, and listening. You may run into some crazy spots for them that sound awesome, but would be a royal pain in the ass to mount.

It's really gonna be your call. Putting them in the enclosure will probably be best for imaging, but that means making room for the tweeters in the panels also.

i've thought about that. not with double-sided tape, but that's a good idea.

i don't want to put them in the kick panels because they are already going to be huge and it would be a bitch aiming them with the little bit of space i would have.

i don't want to put them in the doors because my leg would probably block most of the sound. i'm fixing that problem with the daytons by moving them all the way forward in the pods so that they are almost touching the dash. they are either going to have to go in the top of the sail panels, in the pillars, or on top of the dash somehow.

i've thought about that. not with double-sided tape, but that's a good idea.

i don't want to put them in the kick panels because they are already going to be huge and it would be a bitch aiming them with the little bit of space i would have.

i don't want to put them in the doors because my leg would probably block most of the sound. i'm fixing that problem with the daytons by moving them all the way forward in the pods so that they are almost touching the dash. they are either going to have to go in the top of the sail panels, in the pillars, or on top of the dash somehow.

That's where I've always seen tweeters mounted.... either there, or on the very top of the door.... either way, your right about putting them in the pods, your leg will probably block most of the sound. Hell, my leg blocks the sound of the 6x9 i got in my door.

• 3 weeks later...