Ignition switch?

Euro

I haven't seen this problem before, and searching came up with little to nothing. So, I pull into my space at school, and turn the car off. The key doesn't turn all the way off. It stopped right about in the middle between Accessory and OFF. Thing is, I would think the key would've been locked in there as well, but I can take the key out. And I can start it with NO key in the ignition, however it starts and then dies right away with the security feature. Everything's off but I can still turn the radio on, and when the door's open it still dings like it thinks theres a key in the ignition. Everything is off except for the radio clock and the shift indicator light.

so, ignition switch gone bad? this blows because I know it'll drain my battery tonite and I don't have my jumper cables in my car.

Just to reiterate what I told him on AIM for future reference:

It seems to me like the key/shifter interlock shit out and the solenoid isn't releasing. At some point, a previous owner must have just yanked on the key until it came out. Look up at the bottom of the column and you'll see a little removable plastic tab. Remove the tab and insert a screwdriver or other small object into the hole. Simultaneously turn the key back to the off position and remove it.

sounds to me like it could be a bad ignition switch,. my fathers lumina did the same thing then completely stopped working. but the funny thing was that the key was never yanked out