Pressure washing engine?

jmoore4294

I didn't even cover stuff up when I pressure washed the engine bay in my old Regal. I just didn't aim at electrical stuff too much. And I let it air dry for about 30 minutes before firing it up. I missed a little initially, but it went away in less then 30 seconds.

I didn't even cover stuff up when I pressure washed the engine bay in my old Regal. I just didn't aim at electrical stuff too much. And I let it air dry for about 30 minutes before firing it up. I missed a little initially, but it went away in less then 30 seconds.

x2 - I just let it rip on the Lumina...

that's exactly what i do and i never have problems. i usually soak everything in degreaser, wash the rest of the car and then spray the engine off. when i cleaned the Trofeo engine bay i just avoided the alternator and coilpacks with the pressure washer wand; i didn't even cover them up. i didn't even let it air dry before firing it up (don't want to just sit there twiddling my thumbs in the carwash bay for 1/2 hour :lol: ) it did miss initially but went away completely very quickly; the engine heat alone dries everything off fast. just make sure you hold the wand a few feet away from the engine so the high pressure doesn't break something (i use high pressure setting when rinsing). for really bad grease/grime full strength Simple Green works really good, just don't let it sit on alumium parts for too long as i've heard it can be corrosive. i've never had a problem with it corroding anything though and that stuff works really good - wayyyy better than the degreasers dispensed from the the carwash wands.

I just use my garden hose and some simple green. And I don't aim at anything electrical. I need to do this on the GP, it looks like the engine bay of jeremy's old cutlass :lol: :razz:

I just use my garden hose and some simple green. And I don't aim at anything electrical. I need to do this on the GP, it looks like the engine bay of jeremy's old cutlass :lol: :razz:

Simple Green oxidizes aluminum.

Simple Green oxidizes aluminum.

yes..I forgot about that. I used that on my 3.1 plenum and it oxidized it a little. I meant I used Simple Green for the plastic/non metal surfaces(that aren't electrical)

i think it's fine to use; just don't let it sit on longer than a minute or two. i used it several times to clean my TGP plenum and the thing looked brand new.

I've got a question that is kinda related: is there anything I can do to remove corrosion off some 3.1 intake plenum and valve covers?

Thanks

I've got a question that is kinda related: is there anything I can do to remove corrosion off some 3.1 intake plenum and valve covers?

Thanks

you might have to get it bead blasted then repaint it.

Thanks

stainless steel brush will work too. Im getting this problem ever since Ive gone all my cast al. parts.

Thanks

stainless steel brush will work too. Im getting this problem ever since Ive gone all my cast al. parts.

Would sanding work? I think they are aluminum if I'm not mistaken?