quick claybar question

Psych0matt

two things, first, is there anything specific with the clay that I need to know? for example, would regular modeling clay from the store be fine?

also, what is good to use as lube. I have some of the mothers instant detailer by mothers that came with the mothers claybar kit, but probably not enough for the whole car.

ok, thats all :mrgreen:

no modeling clay, totally different animal! I usually get a bucket and sit on it as i work around the car in small patches. Use more quick detailer than you think, if the clay drags use more detailer. Make sure to wipe the car as you go along so the quick detailer doesn't dry in streaks down your car. If you drop the clay throw it out and start with a new bar.

If you take your time it''ll be worth it, i've done 3 vehicles and when i can i will do the cutlass.

I have no clue about modeling clay being the same grade/type used in claybar kits, but I'm sure the guys at autopia.org could answer that. As for clay lube, I use a clean bucket of soapy water. Quick detailer works fine for clay lube(store-bought clay kits will come with a quick detailer of some sort), but using soapy water is much quicker in my experience(especially when claying an entire car).

Here's a guide from autopia btw...

http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80231-detailing-clay-pre-wax-cleaning.html

I've clayed it once before, but that was two years ago, I figure since i washed it today, its now dry and ready to be waxed or whatever, so i might as well claybar it first, just to get it looking as good as possible, even though it's probably not worth it :lol:

I've clayed it once before, but that was two years ago, I figure since i washed it today, its now dry and ready to be waxed or whatever, so i might as well claybar it first, just to get it looking as good as possible, even though it's probably not worth it :lol:

I claybared my whole GP last year and it took hours and I think I almost had my arm amputated when it lost all feeling and bloodflow. I didn't personally notice a difference? It made it all worth it when I creamed a deer a few weeks later... all of its poo and fur just slid right off that glossy surface.

How bad does the paint surface need to be to notice a diff?

I've noticed a hitload of difference with the clay bar.

without it you could rub the paint and feel friction

with it.... and a bit of good wax.... and you neighbor will be sitting on their ass after trying to sit on your hood!

I used a piece of old 'tack' while I was in Portugal on a test patch. It was very hard but worked better than nothing at all. I've used mildly diluted car wash soap once I ran out of detailer.

Its not that bad, Ive done my car before.

FYI: that Mothers' kit is good enough for MORE THAN one car. I used it once and still had more than half of the instant detailer. You dont need gallons of it on the paint. Just enough to keep the claybar from sticking..........

I definitely just waxed it instead, but the paint felt nice and smooth still, so I decided it didn't need to be done. A polish would be nice, but I'll wait til probably next spring to claybar unless something major calls for it

make sure you wash it with dish soap before you clay it to get all the old wax off and then rewax it.

i was going to, but i've also heard that that can be painful to the paint since it is a lot harsher.

make sure you wash it with dish soap before you clay it to get all the old wax off and then rewax it.

i was going to, but i've also heard that that can be painful to the paint since it is a lot harsher.

the main reason for not using it is because it strips the wax off, put it also cleans the paint better, which is why you use it before you clay and why its bad for normal use. you want to be taking the crap out of the paint w/ the bar, not removing the wax, which it will do anyway if you dont get it off of there first.