Rock chips

Spectrum

I drive 90% highway to and from college, 150 miles each way. I'm begining to accumulate a ton of rock chips on the hood of my 1997 Lumina LTZ. Now I've been using touch up paint whenever I notice a chip, but that only does so much. I put on 2 coats of wax on the hood, 3 where the rock chips tend to accumulate to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Would a hood bra do more damage than good?

Hood bras do more damage because if not put on correctly, tight enough, they will rub the paint off the car, and collect dirt and moisture underneath.... not good.

I usually only put mine on if I'm taking long highway trips (between school and home usually) but even then I don't always use it. My front end has a crap ton of chips, and sometime soon I want to touch them up, but I'll need a good afternoon without distractions to do it :lol:

I usually only put mine on if I'm taking long highway trips (between school and home usually) but even then I don't always use it. My front end has a crap ton of chips, and sometime soon I want to touch them up, but I'll need a good afternoon without distractions to do it :lol:

The bra or 3M stuff? I only put my bra on when I go on the highway. If you do that, just make sure you clean it often and let it dry off the car. Simple.

you'll have to find a dealer near you though..... but if you contact maybe an auto paint supply store they may have this.... its a CLEAR poly 8Mil film that is made as a front end bra for cars. its nearly invisible. I have a few customers that come to my shop. they are snow birds from canada and have it on their cars. it looks pretty good, and its hardly noticable. interested? go to this link and look at it. maybe you can contact them about one of their dealers... I tried to buy directly from them through my auto shop. they wouldn't let me :(

http://www.rblproducts.com/indexnew.asp?section=products&type=8Mil%20Chip%20Protector

Buy a hood bra, put it on before you get on the express way and take it off as soon as you get off the highway. Easy as that. It will stop the rock chips, and it will not damage your paint if it is only on for a minor amount of time.

That's all folks.

Well, I just bought a hood bra. I figured it'd be the most economical for my needs. It'll be for highway trips only. Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys.

you'll have to find a dealer near you though..... but if you contact maybe an auto paint supply store they may have this.... its a CLEAR poly 8Mil film that is made as a front end bra for cars. its nearly invisible. I have a few customers that come to my shop. they are snow birds from canada and have it on their cars. it looks pretty good, and its hardly noticable. interested? go to this link and look at it. maybe you can contact them about one of their dealers... I tried to buy directly from them through my auto shop. they wouldn't let me :(

http://www.rblproducts.com/indexnew.asp?section=products&type=8Mil%20Chip%20Protector

A lot of window tinting places do this. It's nearly impossible to tell it's there from more than 10 feet away.

Blah blah blah here come the bra nay sayers!!! Same as always...everyone has their opinion, some of which are completely uninformed.

As someone who does and has used a bra on both my cutlass and my truck before that, I can tell you the following:

1. There are absolutely no rock chips on the front of my car, as the full bra has protected the car. The windshield hasn't been as lucky over time unfortunately (we're on windshield #2 and I just had to make a comprehensive claim over the weekend for another rock thrown into my windshield on the highway...sigh).

2. I have been continually cleaning and taking extra care of the paint underneath the bra since I put it on there more than 4 years ago. (Though I did lapse over this winter :redface:) I don't have any discoloration or damage caused by moisture or rubbing...you get the idea.

3. In terms of the effect of using a bra over the course of several years...

My white cutty does have ever so slight difference in the paint color, but you can't really see it unless you're really looking for it. This is simply because the area not covered by the bra has become faded since I put the bra on 4+ years ago.

There's a trade off here regardless what route you go. :dunno:

i had a clear bra put on my cobalt (hood, fenders, mirrors, and bumper) since its my daily and you can barely see it except the line where it ends and it has worked great.

i have had bra's on my other cars but only to hide damage :lol: if you only use it for trips and take it off often to clean and wax underneath, you shouldnt have problems. i think theyre ugly myself but if its not on all the time, theyre not so bad.

I have had the bra on my car for 4 years. Whenever I was it I take the bra off and clean it of all dirt and let dry.I have given complete neglect to underneath for the past 2 years. now the hood is rusted due to the previous damage and exposed metal from before putting the bra on. I say get a bra and deny excessive wear or deterioration as a result as long as you give needed attention when washing.

Got the hood bra in today and put it on to see how it looks. I don't like it too much, but it looks decent.

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.