Shift knob choices...

Z34-5speed

Hey. I am thinking about getting a new shifter knob for my Z. I was wondering if the threads are universal or are a specific type. I was also wondering if ya'll had any ideas on what kind of knob to get. I want to stay away from metal but i want a knob that looks "factory-ish". Any ideas or input would help.

Kyle

You've got a Lumina, so you've got a stamped steel shifter. You need a GP shifter assembly to use anything "universal". Somehow, someone (Sean, I think) managed to slam a Fiero shifter on mine. I wish he would have gotten a leather one at least. lol.

You've got a Lumina, so you've got a stamped steel shifter. You need a GP shifter assembly to use anything "universal". Somehow, someone (Sean, I think) managed to slam a Fiero shifter on mine. I wish he would have gotten a leather one at least. lol.

My shifter knob is definately not steel on the surface. It has the gear choices on a plastic piece stuck to another, softer plastic knob.

My shifter knob is definately not steel on the surface. It has the gear choices on a plastic piece stuck to another, softer plastic knob.

No no no Einstein, Shaun means the ACTUAL LEVER is stamped steel, not your knob.. Pull the knob off yours, or hell, even your boot and you will see what we mean here.. Why you need the PONTIAC SHIFTER is because it is a steel rod w/ threads at the top.. Also a much better choice if you wanted to shorten the throw in any way..

And Kevin, we are talking about manual not automatic knobs.. And if I see your cobra head knob again, I'll PROBABLY light it on fire.. :lol:

No no no Einstein, Shaun means the ACTUAL LEVER is stamped steel, not your knob.. Pull the knob off yours, or hell, even your boot and you will see what we mean here.. Why you need the PONTIAC SHIFTER is because it is a steel rod w/ threads at the top.. Also a much better choice if you wanted to shorten the throw in any way..

And Kevin, we are talking about manual not automatic knobs.. And if I see your cobra head knob again, I'll PROBABLY light it on fire.. :lol:

Ah, ok. Sorry about that. So basically the knob isn't screwed on, it's permanently attached? I've checked the j/ys around here for 5 speed w-bodies and they don't exist, lol. I had to get my new tranny from a j/y in southern GA.

Aah, you know me, I've got ADD. However, I never pass up the opportunity to bring up the "penis head" knob and your hatred towards them. :lol:

What's your address again? I've got a vinyl "phallus" knob with your name on it :lol: ...

Ah, ok. Sorry about that. So basically the knob isn't screwed on, it's permanently attached? I've checked the j/ys around here for 5 speed w-bodies and they don't exist, lol. I had to get my new tranny from a j/y in southern GA.

It looks like GM just shoved it on the shifter rod. I really don't know HOW it's attached. I wrapped a copious amount of electical tape all around the metal rod and shoved the Fiero shifter on. It's not perfect, but it takes quite a bit of force to get the knob off. I think a Fiero one would look best, IMHO. A Hurst knob from a Trans Am would be pretty cool too.