How do you do the rear brakes?

kiwi133

Rotors and all.

I have had a very bad day so far in reguards to getting away from other things to do them, and I have once again been forced away because it is hell on earth outside now (storm).

My first problem I ran into was my rear drivers side wheel was friggin rusted/corroded/stuck on the car. I had to hammer for at least ten minutes before I got the sucker off. (it will be the same deal with getting the rotor off) Then I had to bum a ride so I could buy some metric wrenches cus I don't know where half of mine went. And then the mosquitos came and started eating me and I don't have any repellant.

So what I have done so far is take off the dust shields and loosen the p-brake cable a little (at the thing under the car where it splits) And haynes sucks and so does the design of these brakes + rust and brake dust make a hell of a time figureing out what to do.

So now that I'm done my rant, how did YOU do your rear brakes?

Ok nevermind. Haynes sucks. I didn't need to do anything with the p-brake. Just take out the two bolts, and compressing the piston is somewhat of a bitch, but not bad at all.

BTW if you are ever getting eaten by mosquitos while working on your car, and you don't have repelant or it doesn't work. Just sit a big fan next to you. Keeps you cool and the buggies can't keep up.

Hey, I was doing a brake job today on my grand prix (first time). I did the front first (Pads and rotors VERY EASY)) then I got to the rear. The rear was horrible to do. I had to get a combination wrench to unscrew the screws, I used some WD-40 to help loosen the screws. There are 2 screws, for the one on top I used a combination wrench,and the one on the bottom I used a ratchet.I started on the passengers side, In order to put the piston back in I took a pair of pliers and twisted them clockwise. It worked but I had to use clamp to squezze it in more because there was not enough room to put the caliper back in place. Then I went to work on the drivers side, I got to the part where I had to put the piston back in but I was unaware that on the drivers side the caliper piston is on a reverse thread so instead of tighting the caliper, I loosened it, and my piston fell out. Now I have to buy a caliper because its nearly impossible to put the piston back in. (REMEMBER THAT THIS SIDE HAS A REVERSE THREAD) I also had some difficulty taking off my wheels, and rotors because they were stuck on with rust, I just used a hammer. Its also very important to buy some Anti-Seize Compound, it does alot to keep your brakes working in good condition. You don't need to touch the dust cover or the parking to change the pads. I also cleaned all my brake components with a wire brush and I used a hammer to tap away all the rust. I hope this helps.

No offense dude, but you should be prepared next time. Get some repellant, WD40 and the appropriate tools all organized and lined up ready for use even before you jack up your rear end.

You will definitely need a pair of pliers or a special "brake caliper socket" that attaches to any 3/8 ratchet that can be used to rear rear brakes. Get some brake cleaner while you're at it and do not use compressed air to blow away brake dust. Just remember to do one side at a time. It's not too difficult, you should be able to figure it out. I think the worst part of it is messing with the e-brake.

Rotors and all.

I have had a very bad day so far in reguards to getting away from other things to do them, and I have once again been forced away because it is hell on earth outside now (storm).

My first problem I ran into was my rear drivers side wheel was friggin rusted/corroded/stuck on the car. I had to hammer for at least ten minutes before I got the sucker off. (it will be the same deal with getting the rotor off) Then I had to bum a ride so I could buy some metric wrenches cus I don't know where half of mine went. And then the mosquitos came and started eating me and I don't have any repellant.

So what I have done so far is take off the dust shields and loosen the p-brake cable a little (at the thing under the car where it splits) And haynes sucks and so does the design of these brakes + rust and brake dust make a hell of a time figureing out what to do.

So now that I'm done my rant, how did YOU do your rear brakes?