Opinion on different subs....

Bake82

I am looking into buying a different sub(s). I would prefer more SQ then SPL. I am not looking to spend alot of money on it. I would like a 10, and I have been looking at the alpine type s, bazooka el1004(would these even be considered more SQ subs??) Out of these two I am leaning towards the bazooka because of the price, but I am wondering if there are any other subs out there that can be had pretty cheap that still sound good with only around 200RMS going to them at 4 ohms? Any help would be good Thanks..

What kind of coin are you looking to spend on each sub?

I had a set of Pro Atomik DVC 12's running off a US Accoustics 2200, and I got a 139 db out of it, off my Alpine D855. They were in a stereo ported box that was about 1.5 cf. The Atomik's were only 96.00 each, IIRC. It sounded pretty clean, too.

the type s is a solid sub, and alpine is always more sq than spl in my mind. could look into a JL 10w3 (I have one and i'm very happy with it) or 10w3v2 (identical to the w3, just vented better and a different dust cap). a 10w3 will be a bit more expensive, about $200, and they take about 250rms. I wouldn't want to go with anything less than what i have, i just don't think it would do the job.

If you're not worried about space, you could do a pair of JL 10w0 subs, they would take about 250rms total and cost about the same as a single w3. w3 is a better sub, but you won't have to play 2 w0's as hard to get the same volume.