Some exhaust questions...

Scottster

Just wondering you guys can clear up some questions my mind's been boiling up lately...

It seems the later-year W-bodys have a much queiter exhaust set up. My current exhaust system is worn right out...mufflers rattle like tin cans, pipes are rusting (not right through yet), and there's a cold-start exhaust leak up ahead of the cat somewhere.

The thing sounds like a WW2 tank, pretty much.

This summer I look forward to getting everything back in shape, but I'm just thinking about my options...

Basically I want it as quiet as it can be. Here's what I was wondering,

-A resonator was added to the system at a certain model year correct? I figure I could scoop one from a newer W-body car, which would eliminate the raspyness, from what I've read.

-The car currently has the flow routed into the right muffler, then back out again and over to the left muffler. Initally I thought this was jury-rigged, but apparently that's the OE setup. Would I be wise to get the y-split from a newer W car too? To me that seems like a much better, simpler, freer flowing setup.

Anyother tips or info would be appreciated. I'm just trying to get my head around why the latter exhaust systems seem much more refined.

Thanks for any insight!

if you want it as quiet as you can be, I believe the W cars after 1992 had resonators. My guess, if you still want dual exhaust, grab a system off of a 94+ dual setup

if you want it as quiet as you can be, I believe the W cars after 1992 had resonators. My guess, if you still want dual exhaust, grab a system off of a 94+ dual setup

I don't think it started as early as 92... I have a 92' Lumina, a 93' Lumina, and a 93' CS, and none of them have resonators. I don't think it started until the gen 1.5's.

-The car currently has the flow routed into the right muffler, then back out again and over to the left muffler. Initally I thought this was jury-rigged, but apparently that's the OE setup. Would I be wise to get the y-split from a newer W car too? To me that seems like a much better, simpler, freer flowing setup.

Thanks for any insight!

Wierd... Both my Lumina's are single exhaust, but the 93' CS has duals. It has a y pipe right behind the rear spring, that splits to 2 seperate mufflers with 2 seperate tailpipes. But I can tell you, it has new mufflers and its still very raspy. The previous owner cut out the cat, and clamped in a leaky flex pipe. I cut that out, and welded in a solid pipe. Its quiet at idle, but pings on acceleration.

A lot of it depends on what kind of muffler you get... most muffler shops get the cheapest muffler they can buy, usually under $20. Cheap mufflers ping a lot, and are raspy. Turbo mufflers aren't much better as far as raspiness.

I can attest to the older cars being louder. The 3.1 in my GP convertible racer is very noticeably louder than my friend's beretta 3100 racer. Both cars have stock manifolds with about a foot and a half of exhaust, cut off before the cat. It's really a huge difference, you can hardly hear the beretta once the GP takes off.

I can attest to the older cars being louder. The 3.1 in my GP convertible racer is very noticeably louder than my friend's beretta 3100 racer. Both cars have stock manifolds with about a foot and a half of exhaust, cut off before the cat. It's really a huge difference, you can hardly hear the beretta once the GP takes off.

Now I want vids lol...

[/end hijack]

Ok, sweet. Thanks for the help guys.

I'll put the resonator in as a first step, and then get some quality mufflers from there.

Walker Quiet-Flows seem to be my best option for good quiet mufflers, but they arn't cheap!