car aint starting now... Fixed

Q-Ball

Ok, I got no spark. I tried 2 of the plugs. The right side and middle one on the front of the engine. I did smell gas on the plugs. Any idea's now? I'm really thinking something happened when they did the auto starter now.

Hmm, there is a line that the installer would tap into from the coil packs....I'm not sure but I'd ask Chris (slick) on here about it...it's a tach signal, I'm not sure if it would have anything to do with the coilpacks not functioning...

try to check fuses couold be that simple

Yeah they look fine. I called the place that did my auto start and they said that its possible that something might be messed up. But they doubt. Told me to take it to my mechanic and have them look at it. If they find anything wrong with the auto start causing the problem, guess who gets the bill!

So after that I got it towed to my mechanic. They will call me sometime tomorrow letting me know. So hopefully all goes well.

make sure you have fuel, pull off the small cap that looks like a valve stem on the fuel rail (i forget what side its on on a 3.1) get a small screwdriver and press the core in the middle of it, gas should shoot straight up, thats generally a good sign of fuel pressure.

now since you say you are not getting any spark, it is generally one of 2 things, ICM or CPS. when you crank the car does the tach move? if it does move i'd say it is the ICM if it does not it is the CPS. now remember that is NOT a 100% sure way of pinpointing the problem, but it can help.

make sure you have fuel, pull off the small cap that looks like a valve stem on the fuel rail (i forget what side its on on a 3.1) get a small screwdriver and press the core in the middle of it, gas should shoot straight up, thats generally a good sign of fuel pressure.

now since you say you are not getting any spark, it is generally one of 2 things, ICM or CPS. when you crank the car does the tach move? if it does move i'd say it is the ICM if it does not it is the CPS. now remember that is NOT a 100% sure way of pinpointing the problem, but it can help.

Yeah my tach moves. Thanks for all your help guys. My mechanic will let me know whats wrong in the morning. I've done all I can do with it. I just dont have all these feul pressure gauges and stuff. So time to let the pro's do it. I'll let you guys know what the problem was as soon as I get it back.

Thanks again everyone!

I work installing remote starts and i can say that unless whoever did the job royally screwed it up it should not stop the car from starting altogether. Unless the starter wire or one of the ignition wires on the car was cut the car should still start. At work we get plenty of cars coming back with problems, thats just how it goes with remote starters. But since ive worked there we have never had a car that wouldnt start at all due to the remote starter.

Ok, it was something behind my coil packs. It just fried appearently. We checked for any splicing wiring, but they dont know how they installed the autostart so cant say anything. We just got a used one put in with a 90 day warrenty on it. Atleast the cars running again!

Ok, it was something behind my coil packs. It just fried appearently. We checked for any splicing wiring, but they dont know how they installed the autostart so cant say anything. We just got a used one put in with a 90 day warrenty on it. Atleast the cars running again!

Remote starts are usually tied in under the dash. The only thing heading to the engine bay for your remote start should be a tach line, which could be gotten at the coil packs. But... it's generally such low current that it shouldn't damage anything.

For future referrence Q-Ball, when checking for spark, I usually pull off a spark plug wire off of the spark plug, have someone crank it and I usually get a small screwdriver and put it in the wire, then I listen for a clicking and look for a blueish/whitish spark.

its easier to put a plug into it then that

lol yeah but I hate taking spark plugs out unless I have too :lol:

in a case lik this you have to the screw driver idea is dangerous depending on the screw driver

Yeah, it sounds much easier that way. But I did find out there wasnt any spark. Even by taking out the 2. I just happy the car can turn on again. Even though I got the bill. :frown:

its easier to put a plug into it then that

lol yeah but I hate taking spark plugs out unless I have too :lol:

in a case lik this you have to the screw driver idea is dangerous depending on the screw driver

yes well my screwdrivers never give me a problem, i do have rubber handles on most of them too.

You act like you don't like getting shocked by a coil... I can't count the number of times I've gotten shocked, recoiled in pain, and slammed my knuckles into something on the recoil.

One time I got shocked, recoiled and smashed a knuckle, then whacked my head on the hood. Everyone seemed to find it amusing

You act like you don't like getting shocked by a coil... I can't count the number of times I've gotten shocked, recoiled in pain, and slammed my knuckles into something on the recoil.

One time I got shocked, recoiled and smashed a knuckle, then whacked my head on the hood. Everyone seemed to find it amusing

LOL even i find that amusing and i wasnt even there :lol:

Back a few years ago my buddies and I were trying to get this pos lawn mower engine to start, well, because we had nothing better to do. So, we told our one geek friend (no mechanical knowledge) that it would start faster if he held his hand on the end of the spark plug. So he did, and gave the recoil string a pull like I've never pulled before lol...never seen my friend jump like that before lol!, and this was just a lawn mower coil lol