car aint starting now... Fixed

Q-Ball

Well, all was good with my car. I got the brakes fixed, keyless working and now the car doesnt start. I drove it about 3 or 4 times today with no problems. I had it parked on the road, so I had to bring it in so I dont get a ticket. And the bastard wont start. I have lights and everything and I hear it trying to turn over, but nothings happening. We just had a little cold snap too. The only other thing that was done this week, was getting my auto starter wired up to go with my keyfob. I tried the auto start and it does the same thing. I wrote a note and put it on my windshield, hopefully I dont get a ticket.

Any idea's what would cause this? I also have a new starter that was installed in the summer.

It is trying to turn over? Is it turning over fast or slow. Slow as in... like a dead battery? If someone just did electrical work, it would be miy first guess.

It is trying to turn over? Is it turning over fast or slow. Slow as in... like a dead battery? If someone just did electrical work, it would be miy first guess.

I'd say fast, like normal turning over. My volts show up as just past 12. But would rigging an auto starter up cause the car to stop starting? It's been fine for almost a week.

Connect a fuel pressure gage to the fuel rail, should be around 40psi steady with the key in the "ON" position.

Check for spark using FordBoy's method, or a spark tester (can buy them at Princess Auto, etc..)

Get it a shot of starting fluid down the intake..if it starts it's probably fuel related...thats just my opinion though. Like can you hear the fuel pump humming along when you first turn the key on??

just because you have a full tank of gas dont mean that the motor is getting gas to fire

ya you could just pull a wire and a plug off and look for spark

So the sparks would come from the plugs correct? So if I pull it off, it will just spark on its own or do I need something metal to see the spark jump?

Connect a fuel pressure gage to the fuel rail, should be around 40psi steady with the key in the "ON" position.

Check for spark using FordBoy's method, or a spark tester (can buy them at Princess Auto, etc..)

Get it a shot of starting fluid down the intake..if it starts it's probably fuel related...thats just my opinion though. Like can you hear the fuel pump humming along when you first turn the key on??

Starting fluid? Is that just another name for gas? And yeah I can hear the fuel pump behind me humming. I have my backseats out and the lining out. I can ever hear the swishing around when I drive. Well thats when it worked.

Starting fluid is different from gas, thoguh it'll do the same thing...It comes in a compressed can and you spray it into the intake...well, this is what we used to do for our snow mobiles when it was super cold outside..

I think it has different chemicals in it too that make it more volitile (sp?)

Heres an example:

wynnsstartingfluid.jpg

But if your pump is running is *should* start..though it'd be good to know how much pressure you are getting at the fuel rail.

I'm leaning towards an ignition problem...check for spark since it's easier then testing fuel pressure (especially if you don't have a tester)...can you smell raw fuel after a long time of cranking, like the motor may be flooded (would make sense if you had no ignition)

Well, i really doubt i need starter fluid. The car is my daily driver. I have a pressure gauge, but I dont know if it can be used for fuel? I'll have to go find and see.

Oh and how exactly do I check for spark. I dont have a spark tester either.

Ok, i found my gauge. it says vacuum pressure. Would this work? It has all sorts of info on it. PSI, kPa, cm Hg, in Hg.

Heres a link http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672448&bmUID=1174498746660&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442132057&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

and a pic

0251039_450_CC_d0b1.jpg

I'm not sure that gauge will work for you, but I'm not sure. The fuel pressure guage I borrow from my friend's Dad you screw onto the fuel rail. It has a long hose that comes out of it and a release button on the side, so after you are done testing the fuel runs out the hose when you release the pressure.

Starting fluid is not necessary to start the car on a regular basis at all (in fact it's probably harmful), but I was just saying if the car would start and run for a few seconds with you spraying it down the intake then it would probably be a fuel delievery problem.

Checking for spark is pretty easy...pull the plug out of the cylinder and make sure it's still attched to the wire. Touch it against something metal (make sure it's bare metal) and crank the motor. (You'll probably need a second person to crank while you watch for spark.) To insure the motor doesn't start hold the throttle wide open and no fuel will be introduced to the cylinders.

If you don't have a spark at all, put that plug back in, and pull the one beside it. If that one isn't sparking then I'd suspect a bad Ignition Control module (ICM), or a crank sensor, or just a wiring issue between the crank sensor and ICM.

The reason I'm jumping to conclusions is because if it was just a dead coil pack, the motor should still start and run on 4 cylinders (very poorly obviously)..

Let us know if you have spark, and if that guage you have can read fuel pressure then go ahead and use it, but I'm not too sure it can - I think it's more of a vacuum reading guage.

Ohhhhh, I get ya. Ya after some more researched I dont think this gauge will work. I did stumble on a nice info page though with steps. Although, I can go through the whole list and it doesnt help. The last thing I have to do is check for spark. But I'm not 100% sure how to do it, well atleast safely.

BTW, heres the site for the starer problems

http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/index.html#starter

Ok, let me get this... Pull the wire where its connected to one of the spark plugs. Roll the rubber back to get it to touch the bare metal. And make sure its still connected to the coil packs. Have someone else crank and pushing the gas pedal down and wait and see if I get a spark?

So it cranks but doesn't start? Am I reading this right?

Yup, I think so. I hear the rrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrr rrrrrrr but when I let off the car isnt starting.

Ok, let me get this... Pull the wire where its connected to one of the spark plugs. Roll the rubber back to get it to touch the bare metal. And make sure its still connected to the coil packs. Have someone else crank and pushing the gas pedal down and wait and see if I get a spark?

No, no....pull the plug out of the head....touch the end of the plug to something metal....and for your sake..DON'T TOUCH anything on the plug, especially the wire end (if it isn't covered in a rubber boot) unless you want the shock of your life lol!! And yeah, then have someone crank the motor with the gas pedal to the mat..and see if there is a spark arcing across the plug...it should also work without touching anything the plug to anything...but I can't remember my Dad always touches the plug to something metal..

OHHHH Take my spark plug out and touch it on something metal to see if theres a spark? If I hold the rubber will I get shocked?

No you won't..just don't touch any metal on the plug or wire end...if you hold it by the boot or rubber insulation of the wire you should be fine

I should be around all day (snowed today and colder outside...though I might go change out my O2 sensor and try and hunt down a vacuum leak..I'll check back tohugh!

Good luck...hey you should call Dave maybe he'll come out and help!

when you check the spark look inside the head see if you can smell gas from inside the cumbustion chamber. cuz if you are gonna put the pedal to the floor and try to start it gas SHOULD shoot through the injectors into the cumbustion chamber

Ok, I got no spark. I tried 2 of the plugs. The right side and middle one on the front of the engine. I did smell gas on the plugs. Any idea's now? I'm really thinking something happened when they did the auto starter now.