ATTN: ADDCO Rear Sway Bar Owners

dykz34

Do all of your guys' bars clunk? Did anyone ever figure out a way to fix it? Im contemplating getting the bar to complete my suspension but there is no way in hell I will listen to that clunking! lol :lol: :twisted:

Thanks,

Dave

My TGP has it, and the only time I notice the clunking is when I'm carring passengers in the car (especially in the back).

I talked to shane a while back about this and he told me that using some mounting brackets from a Monte Z34 would fix the problem.

No, it's not lowered.

I'd agree with you since you are lowered, it will probably clunk all the time, and it's not a pretty sounding clunk either!

Guest TurboSedan

mine had the Addco until the clunking finally broke the inner passenger side hanger bracket. my car is also lowered with TDC coilovers. the clunking noise was practically unbearable. i'm not sure what i'm going to do about getting it back in there but i got some inner hangers from a '95 Monte and hope to modify them to work (so the bar hangs lower than it did before). that Addco bar sure works nice (i miss it) but it's a PITA!! dam Addco installation hardware hung the bar up WAY too high and always banged against the exhaust and the center trailing arm bolts!

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

i'm already using outer '95 Monte brackets and bushings, but the Addco inner hardware for cars that came with NO sway bar previously sucked big time (hung the bar up too high). so now i'm going with '95 Monte inner hangers and hopefully the bar will hang lower.

joshua

I had to use the Addco outer hardware to space the bar away from the bolts in the middle. It looked like it would be REAL tight to use the Monte outer bushings.

Shawn, is your car lowered? Im afraid of whats happening to malibuolds will happen to me since Im also lowered. :(

Malibuolds, lemme know if you find a fix for the clunking on a lowered car. :D

Mine is lowered (RSM style) and it clunks against the exhaust. the bar is up to high and I've spaced it with a bunch of washers but it still clunks. Nothing too bad though. I'd rather the awesome handling it gives with the accompanying clunk than a stock FE3 bar without the clunk.

-Tom

I'm sorry, but I REFUSE to spend $150+ on a bar that was designed half-ass for the car.

unfortunately there isn't much of an option if you want good handling. And don't say fe3 is good - it isn't.

-Tom

It doesn't bug me too much.. I rarely ever pile enough people in to the TGP to make the bar clunk, and I'm not putting a huge, heavy stereo system in to the car either. :)

FE3 isnt bad once you change everything. :P The FFP coilovers made a HUGE difference on my car. I just wish there were some better struts available for the front cuz mine is fairly bouncy with the GR2s. :(

Wow. it's still bouncy after changing your struts? I thought that would fix the problem completely.. guess not.

I seen my old Lumina the other day in town, I never realized how much it bounced until I seen it driving by. :oops:

Ya, its pretty bouncy. :( Im gonna try out some KONIs, but the price is killer! $135 each!! :(

Where are you finding Konis for W-body cars? I've been looking for some Koni adjustables for a while now. I thought they quit making them. :cry:

Guest TurboSedan
Malibuolds, lemme know if you find a fix for the clunking on a lowered car. :D

sure thing. from the looks of the brackets i got from the '95 Monte i think i can fab up some inner hangers that will hang the bar lower. i'll let you know, but it probably won't be till later this summer :? i have way too many plans for other car stuff right now. and you're right; that Addco bar is totally half-assed designed for our cars :evil:

joshua

for those mentioning the Koni Adjustables and trying to find them for the front, a guy at clubgp can get them for ya for the the pre 97 W cars...I forget what his handle is, but I'll ask around and find out. He works at some place dealing with suspension and had people he knew call around looking for old stock and found about 3 or 4 pairs still in existance in a warehouse and I believe he ordered one pair...I'll get back to you all SOON if I find out who it is that told me about this 8)

for those mentioning the Koni Adjustables and trying to find them for the front, a guy at clubgp can get them for ya for the the pre 97 W cars...I forget what his handle is, but I'll ask around and find out. He works at some place dealing with suspension and had people he knew call around looking for old stock and found about 3 or 4 pairs still in existance in a warehouse and I believe he ordered one pair...I'll get back to you all SOON if I find out who it is that told me about this 8)

Yeah..let me know as well. :D

I have the addcco bar. this is the second one. First one broke , they redesigned it and gave me a new one completely FREE of Charge. .. Works great. except for the banging in the exhaust... I had custom mounts built to install the bar. BUT I also have custom exhaust. I took a piece of silicone high temp hose the length of the bar area that was rubbing. Cut it down the center so the hose would wrap around the bar, held it with plastic ties. It helps cut down the noise alot.