Leaky trunk on the Lumina

1990lumina

Hey guys...I addressed (or so I thought) this issue last fall with my leaky trunk. I resealed all the factory sealing spots behind the trunk liner, because with the tail lights out, and me spraying water in that area, water was coming in and filling the spare tire area with water. So, now that I think the trunk is sealed and everything is right with the world it starts to leak again. Only thing I can think of is my sealing job didn't stand up, so it's leaking around the trunk lid weather stripping. I don't know, but I know I'm not the only one who's had this problem. Is there a way to make the trunk lid seal without replacing the weatherstripping...I also want the trunk lid to align properly when closed so I assume it's pretty much impossible to do anything. As I recall there is a spot on the right side of the trunk lid that has a piece cut out of it for the spoiler nut to attack to the trunk lid - and it's very close to the weather stripping seal. I believe this is where the water may be coming in.

Anyone have any further insight besides sitting in the trunk with the garden hose running outside? If not, then I'll have to wait till spring to further diagnose since our water won't be turned on outside of a long time...

It's small things like this that really bug me...and I don't want to punch a hole into the spare tire well..that doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks!

when i got my car it would flood every time it rained, after resealing everything it slowed down to a very manageable rate, i've since given up myself, but i seem to be getting watter in on the 2 seams on the 2 edges of the trunk, the one is aprox above the gas door and the other paralel to it if that makes any sense.

i also moved the latch catch down a little so i get a tighter seal against the weatherstrip.

when i got my car it would flood every time it rained, after resealing everything it slowed down to a very manageable rate, i've since given up myself, but i seem to be getting watter in on the 2 seams on the 2 edges of the trunk, the one is aprox above the gas door and the other paralel to it if that makes any sense.

i also moved the latch catch down a little so i get a tighter seal against the weatherstrip.

I know exactly where you mean...I used to get lots of water in through there too...I siliconed it up as much as possible...I should check those two spots again though.....ah I hate this...especially now since the road are so wet the trunk is disgusting...plus it has mildew in it now since I can smell it...can't wait for warmer weather so I so dry everything out again..

Same problem with my 93. Where the quater panels are welded to the body on both sides. Mine is so fucked up I need all new carpet and the board to cover my spare tire. Will probably get a friend to reweld the area and see if that fixes the problem.

Yeah, that board for my spare tire is all fucked up too from last fall...lol...this weekend I'm going to investigate it more since it'll be nice outside