Well my luck with W-bodies sucks lately...

logikf1ve

About two weeks ago my '95 Lumina gets rearended and totalled by the insurance company, and yesterday this happens:

I'm driving along the highway with my LTZ, I notice that when I was approaching the toll booths awhile back the car would have a random jumpy tach needle when idling in gear. I don't really think too much about it because I have had it do it before, so I continue on. About 15 minutes later on the way back I'm rolling about 70-75mph and I hear a CLANK and a WHZZZZZ sound. The car starts popping and misfiring pretty badly, though still running. By instinct I check the gauges and it's running normal temp at highway speed (around 140* or so) so I start to pull off to the side of the road and it stalls. I try to restart it and get nothing but incredibly hard cranks, occasionally it fires over but runs terrible w/o some gas pedal. Almost like it's running on 2-3 cylinders.

Any ideas on what it may be? I'm thinking the timing chain jumped a tooth, just by the way its running. Given the car has 219,000 miles on it, I would say it had a fair run. :eek:

Damn W-bodies! :willynilly: :lol:

Oh well, guess I have another lawn ornament till spring or mid summer. :evil:

I don't know what I was thinking but I didn't even think to check compression.

I'll do some digging this weekend. Anyone know what normal compression is for a 3100?