Adding the 94-96 GP Dash

Q-Ball

Ok, heres my situation. I can get a full dash from the wreckers near me. The things Im worried about is:

1. Is it going to be possible to get the hud and dic working from that?

2. Everything else like cluster, climate controls, cruise controls, steering wheel controls, signals?

Since the change was made in 94 and I have 92 is this even going to work? Or am I going way over my head with this?

I'll let someone else address the electrical issue, but my advice would be to stick with your cars current dash.

In my opinion the original design is the best. It is the way the car was intended to look. The latter GP interior seems to blobbish to me...which was cool in the 90's I guess.

My advice would be to think about it for a week. I have wanted to impulse buy parts from newer or different editions of my cars at the junk yard...just for the reason that it was different. Most of the time I was glad I didn't latter on.

Just my $0.02.

WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH WOULD YOU DITCH THE 88-93 DASH AND ALL IT'S CHARACTER FOR THE 94-96 ONE?!

The 94-96 is bland and boring. If you're going THAT far, just put the 97-03 dash in. At least you get something that isn't a bore to look at.

WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH WOULD YOU DITCH THE 88-93 DASH AND ALL IT'S CHARACTER FOR THE 94-96 ONE?!

The 94-96 is bland and boring. If you're going THAT far, just put the 97-03 dash in. At least you get something that isn't a bore to look at.

So There! :high5:

I'll keep your thread on topic :rolleyes:

From what i have heard the new dash has a "extra" support across the middle, if that can be made it can be had without a problem. I don't see a problem with the Hud and dic, it's just in a different location and updated (only problem could be OBD II). Besides those i don't see a problem with your cluster. I plan on doing this someday to my "new to me" cutty as well. If i were you i'd go to a JY that has both and play around there first, thats what i do when i am unsure of how to do something, break theirs first! Good luck if u decide to do it and take pics PLEASE> Later Jay

search is your friend. it's been done a few times and discussed several times.

Yeah I've searched it and came up with a Z34 with a Regal dash. But I'm more wondering on the wiring issue's.

I'll let someone else address the electrical issue, but my advice would be to stick with your cars current dash.

In my opinion the original design is the best. It is the way the car was intended to look. The latter GP interior seems to blobbish to me...which was cool in the 90's I guess.

My advice would be to think about it for a week. I have wanted to impulse buy parts from newer or different editions of my cars at the junk yard...just for the reason that it was different. Most of the time I was glad I didn't latter on.

Just my $0.02.

It's still a tough call for me. The thing that makes me want to change is the cluster on mine isnt very accurate. And I just think the looks of the dash is more modern. Plus not having air bags I could put something in the passenger side like a little fridge or something. Also the newwer door panels I have on the drivers side lines up with the newwer dash.

Hey, now you got me thinking about that. I do see more of those at the yards. Gah, I'm just worried about all the wiring.

So There! :high5:

Lol, more work!

I'll keep your thread on topic :rolleyes:

From what i have heard the new dash has a "extra" support across the middle, if that can be made it can be had without a problem. I don't see a problem with the Hud and dic, it's just in a different location and updated (only problem could be OBD II). Besides those i don't see a problem with your cluster. I plan on doing this someday to my "new to me" cutty as well. If i were you i'd go to a JY that has both and play around there first, thats what i do when i am unsure of how to do something, break theirs first! Good luck if u decide to do it and take pics PLEASE> Later Jay

Yeah the Junkyard is the training ground for me too. I was going to go today and take a look, but the damn weather here is horrible again.

the hud will work, even if it's from an obdII car. dic from a 94+ car won't work right. climate control and cluster will work

here's what searching did for me, it's one of several similar topics:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,38198.0.html

I was really doubting the DIC would work right. It has some other stuff in there like outside temp and crap.

Thanks for the info.

i say go for it. i like the newer dash, except for the lack of oil P and temp gauges. the wiper and h/l switches look kinda hoakey to me on the older ones. not sure what you mean by the older ones having character?

i say go for it. i like the newer dash, except for the lack of oil P and temp gauges. the wiper and h/l switches look kinda hoakey to me on the older ones. not sure what you mean by the older ones having character?

Yes, thats another reason, this way I could add some sweet pods/gauges. :biggrin:

But does anyone know if the 97-03 dash will fit? I'm leaning towards that now. I found a few pics and it only seems to be better than 94-96 dash.

It'll fit. It might be a little more work, but it's going to be worth it in the end. You saw that guy that shoehorned the Regal dash in his Lumina.

And by "character" I mean the fucking interior doesn't look JUST LIKE the Cutlass Supreme and Regal's. The 94-96 dash is fugly in every sense of the word. The large gap around the HUD cover, the disgustingly hideous shifter and console, the ugly gauge cluster, wimpy-looking steering column, ass-ugly steering wheel. The list goes on and on.

having cupholders sux too.

i guess opinions are opinions and ours are the opposite on that. sometimes character is ugly :mrgreen:

/hijack

i do agree that the console is crappy, which is why i elected to put a 97+ one in instead of replacing the 96 one.

the dic is a lot better imo on the 94-96 than the 97+ and i dont care for that hud either.

It'll fit. It might be a little more work, but it's going to be worth it in the end. You saw that guy that shoehorned the Regal dash in his Lumina.

And by "character" I mean the fucking interior doesn't look JUST LIKE the Cutlass Supreme and Regal's. The 94-96 dash is fugly in every sense of the word. The large gap around the HUD cover, the disgustingly hideous shifter and console, the ugly gauge cluster, wimpy-looking steering column, ass-ugly steering wheel. The list goes on and on.

Now wait just a minute, you need to make sure you put "in my opinion" before posts like that one.

In MY opinion, the '94-'96 GP dash is much more streamlined, much more pleasing to the eye, and much less spare than the '88-'93 dashes are. Lots of flatness, wasted space, and things just stick out. I disagree that the shifter and console look blobbish, I think they're much more pleasant, and the console doesn't just... END. It actually flows into the dash, rather than slanting down and just stopping.

I still got love for the older dashes, but some people have preferences that others don't. :thumbsup:

Well. It'll at least light up and look pretty. I really doubt the fuel stuff will work with OBD-I.

It looks cool until you get sick of it constantly flashing "0". The fuel shit doesn't work at all, at least not on OBD 1.5.

Ahhh ok. Brian Teel was telling me if I swap to the L67 I will be OBD II. After that would it work correctly?

HUH?

Would this apply to using an 89-91 CS DIS in an OBDII car? if so.... SHWING!!!!!!!!

Ahhh ok. Brian Teel was telling me if I swap to the L67 I will be OBD II. After that would it work correctly?

HUH?

Would this apply to using an 89-91 CS DIS in an OBDII car? if so.... SHWING!!!!!!!!

No, I dont think so. Were talking about using the 97+ DIC from the GP with the OBD II. Swapping my computer to OBD II will allow the newwer DIC to function correctly if I swap out my old 92 dash to a 97-03 dash.