Opening case on taillights

webbs

I don't think so. I have a spare I can look at, but IIRC its one piece. I have the lip tails though, so I don't know if theyre different from the regular ones

You can open it up using the "baking" method.

When I had the Contour, it was common for guys to heat the headlights to the point where the sealing glue would get soft, and then seperate the lens from the headlight. Guys would do everything from projector beam/HID conversion, to just painting the inner housing black or something.

I bought a headlight from a pickandpull yard, and messed around with it...then decided the stock headlight looked best. But it was a learning experience I guess.

Anyway, the method is to pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees, and put the headlight in for about 15 minutes. I found it needed 20 to get the glue soft enough. Have something thin enough to wedge into the seam, and jimmy it open right away, because it cools quickly, and the glue hardens. The most difficult part is convincing yourself to put parts of car into the oven. That's why I bought a scrap light to test it out on.

Actually, I guess this link explains it better than I can...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384488

Won't work on 92-97 coupe taillights. There is NO glue and NO adhesive. Ultrasonically welded means they are melted together. Cracking, breaking, or dremeling is the only way to get them apart.

Won't work on 92-97 coupe taillights. There is NO glue and NO adhesive. Ultrasonically welded means they are melted together. Cracking, breaking, or dremeling is the only way to get them apart.

You'll be finding that on a LOT of newer lamp assemblies anymore. It holds up and seals SOOO much better.