programing remote trunk release for GM accessories security system.

pwmin

the 91 has the gm security system model vsc 3100 (an actual alarm not just remote opener). the trunk release button doesnt work from the remote, but the door locks do and it will release w/ the button in the glovebox. anyone know if i can reprogram it? i probably will have to take it to a dealer, but was wondering if anyone knew how to do it.

Theres a ground area in the trunk you have to ground. It's a little cable that hangs down. Ground it to your antenna and you should here your locks unlock. Now keep pressing your keyfob and it should adjust to the right signal. But i dont think this is a problem in your case if your locks still work. My guess now is either a wiring issue or the keyfob itself.

thanks. well it doesnt work on either fob so it must be wiring. anyone know how to wire it in?

edit: tried to trace the problem according to alldata and found out that the rke module was bypassed. i.e. the lock and unlock works w/o it hooked up. also, when i ground the wire by the antenna, the locks do not cycle.

i have no idea what wire i need to tap into off the gm accessories module to get the trunk release to work since the wiring manual is not with the car...shitty

The P/O told me the trunk release wasn't connected. The instruction manual for the security system was with the car, but I couldn't find anything online as far was wiring instructions go. Those GM security systems were sold by GM dealers only, so maybe talking to someone in the parts department at a dealership could help out. Maybe they could hook you up with some documentation or something.

The P/O told me the trunk release wasn't connected. The instruction manual for the security system was with the car, but I couldn't find anything online as far was wiring instructions go. Those GM security systems were sold by GM dealers only, so maybe talking to someone in the parts department at a dealership could help out. Maybe they could hook you up with some documentation or something.

its kinda funny, but not. my dad just hired a former gm tech that said he installed a bunch of them and used to have the wiring diagram manual and all that stuff in his toolbox but had just gotten rid of them. hopefully he will know someone at the dealer who can help. all i need to know is which wire from the control box or whatever you call it needs to get hooked up to the trunk release button in the car. i tried hitting the button and testing all the wires w/ a circuit tester, but none lit up when i pushed the button, so i have no idea.

Before you do too much work, try holding down the trunk release button for at least 3 full seconds.

If this is a DEI alarm system with the rounded GM-looking key fobs, the trunk release requires a push-and-hold for about 3-seconds before the trunk pops.

it doesnt work; thats for sure. i have a gm parts guy and a tech trying to find an answer for me at two different dealerships, so hopefully one will come up w/ what wire to use on the module and if its a power or a ground.

i tested all the wires coming out of the module for power when id push the button, but i didnt check to see if they grounded. my 96 had a clifford w/ trunk release and that took a long time to work.

it looks almost exactly like the factory fob from my 98 riv; says lock, unlock, has the red panic, and a round gm button that usually has a picture of a popped trunk on it. except it has a red led in the middle that lights up when you push a button