First post ! Z34 Lumina ?

T.R.W.

Hello all,

I'm looking at a 94 Z34 Lumina tomarrow. It has approx. 121k mi.,current owner has had it for four years and says it looks/runs great.

It does have an oil leak,but owner can't tell where from(1qt. every 2-3 wks).

I've always liked the looks of them ,but know next to nothing about them.

Are they good cars for the money? This one is $1600.00.

I have been looking on this forum for a few days and read alot of the Z34

posts.

Are these cars worth the extra attention needed?

Are they reliable?

I have a home garage and do most of my own work(except electronics).

I like strong running cars,but I don't abuse them.

Thanks for your thoughts/replies!

Sounds like the o-ring's leaking. You have to tear apart most of the top end of the motor to get to it.

Open up the timing belt inspection cover. Check the belt. If it looks frayed, kinked, or torn, it's Waaaaaaayyyy past time for a new belt.

IMO, these cars are worth the extra maintenince. My wife would disagree, but she drives a Crapalier.

If it's a 5 speed model, jump on it.

For a 94 it seems quite reasonable.

Look to see if the top of the transmission is soaked in oil, or the engine block right below the throttle body. If there is it is the o-ring leaking and it is not the most pleasant thing to replace.

Ask the owner when the timing belt was replaced and check it to see if it is fraying or worn.

They are quite reliable cars and even though people say other wise the 3.4 is fairly reliable too. You must do your own work on it cause everything takes more time then usual and labor costs will eat your wallet real fast. The only reliability issue I can think of is the transmission but that comes from excessive wheel spin and high shift points. As long as you don't mind working on it yourself then its a perfectly good car.

SupraStar- thanks for the offer,but I live in Indiana.

Thanks for the replies! I checked out the 94 this morning(in the rain :( ).

It's in pretty nice shape.The paint(black) is very nice and the interior is about average for a vehicle of this age. No rips though which is a plus.

The tires are kinda cheap (3 Futura Touring)(1 Good Year),but lots of tread.

My credit union will loan around $3,200 for one in this condition/mileage.

I thought that is pretty good! The credit union said that is the retail price,which is what they will loan up to.

I will most likely try to get it if I can get the loan through.

If I do I will need your guys/gals help from time to time if thats ok.

The wheels/tires MUST go! 17/18 inch W/lo-pros will be one of the first mods along with lowering it a little.

Then true dual exhaust/chip/home porting etc.

What do you think? Is it worth messing with?

If I don't get it then I may look for a salvage titled Grand Prix to rebuild/repair. I buddy of mine had an GTP that ran pretty strong and they look awsome.

Well, thanks for your thoughts!

You're not gonna be able to do a true dual exhaust under the W. there's just not enough room to work with under there.

All being said, combined with the fact that I have a hard-on for the way the 3.4 sounds with an open element filter on a downshift to 1st gear at 20 mph, I'd hit it.

You're not gonna be able to do a true dual exhaust under the W. there's just not enough room to work with under there.

All being said, combined with the fact that I have a hard-on for the way the 3.4 sounds with an open element filter on a downshift to 1st gear at 20 mph, I'd hit it.

:lol2: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What !!! No room for REAL dual exhaust ! That sucks big time! :wink:

Anyone know how big I can go with ONE big pipe?

Anyway, the car drives nice and has had a recent brake job in front.

As far as the power its alright,but I've had some V8 cars that would spank it (79 Cutlass w/73 455, 81 Firebird w/400 and 3.73 posi rear).

Hell, my 94 New Yorker(engine went boom :( ) put out about the same H.P. (215).

If my loan goes ok I'm going to purchase the car.

One thing that puzzles me is why the driver's seat doesn't go forward very much? I mean I'm short(5'3"),but someone shorter could barely reach the gas peddle. I have to stretch my foot out to give it more than half throttle.

I drove another Z34 the other day and it was the same way. I thought the seat track was broke or something was keeping it from moving forward,but its just made like that. I haven't had this problem with other GM cars.

Im a big into port/polish. I think a lot of power, especially on the high-revving LQ1 is very possible. With a decent exhaust, and cone filter, chip, UD crank pulley you should see some nice gains. I would say 2.5in *maybe* 2.75in, but prolly 2.5in is about as big as you want to go, so that you dont take away what little low-end torque you do have.

Robby

robby1870-Thanks for the info. If/when I get the car I'll have to catch you in Terre Haute some time and check out your ride( I live approx. 50 mi. east). Are you going back to school(I.S.U.?) in the fall?

I don't mind working on cars as long as the gains(looks,h.p.) are worth it.

When their not I hate waisting my effort/time/money.

I was looking at the air intake and noticed it was a fresh air type.

I know a cone type will flow more air, but what about the under hood heat?

Doe's someone make a cone type filter/fresh air kit for the Z34 Lumina or would I have to fab one? :(

I was looking at the air intake and noticed it was a fresh air type.

I know a cone type will flow more air, but what about the under hood heat?

Doe's someone make a cone type filter/fresh air kit for the Z34 Lumina or would I have to fab one? :(

The DOHC pumps out a ton of heat, so having a hot-air intake will hurt you.

To get a real cold air, you'll have to relocate the battery to the trunk and fab piping for it.

People have done this on here and on EFI-Street.com forum, ask around on what others did.

When installed / fabricated correctly, it a good "bang-for-the-buck" factor for such a basic bolt-on.

- RedFox340

haha i'm 6'3" and I don't think the seats move back far enough :lol:

haha im bigga im 6'4" my mom yells at me all da time cuz it looks like im layin down when i drive got the seat puched back far n reclined mo the half way back so i can sit in the car comfotably i can barely see ova my hood i really hat drivin like that at night or in the rain tho it sucks

cutlassdude96-I live in Gosport and work in Bloomington.

My loan went through,so it looks like I'm going to be a Z34 owner soon.

The car is really a great buy in my book. I'll try to fix the oil leak myself if possible.

The car was hit along the drivers side and repaired, but its missing the stripe and Z34 sticker. If those were on it would be hard to tell it was ever hit at all.

I'm getting the car for $1400.00. I've been looking for a car to replace my New Yorker for almost a month now and this is the best car I've found for the money. If this car was on a dealers lot it would be priced at around $2600-2800 in this area (I've seen them).

Congrats! :rocking: I think that's a great price for a very nice car.

I'm sure the previous owner didn't fix most of the common problems these cars have, so it may need some TLC in the beginning. However, a 3.4 that has had all common problems fixed and is not beat on can be pretty reliable. I put some TLC into mine when I first bought it since I think it had pretty much every common problem I ever heard about (except the alternator, that was fine). It didn't really bother me at all, because I was prepared to have to perform these repairs before I even bought the car. The car has been quite reliable ever since. My wife just LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES it!

My Z34 was in nice condition when I bought it.... but now, it needs a couple greasings, and a tune up... because of what happened a couple days ago -.-

mysterious squeaks are annoying :evil:

Yes, it is a great price for what it is. I'll post some pics in a few days. You really have to see it.

The guy I'm dealing with is selling the car for his ex-wife and says he's gotten ALOT of calls on it as I'm sure is true. I'm really lucky to get it and the guy held the car for me until my loan was approved which was nice.

Now I have to get some thick peddle covers(may have to fab :( ) so I can reach the peddles better or modify the seat brackets to move the seat up and maybe forward a little.