Turn Signal Switch replacement - Help all do-it yourselfers

whiteSE

OK, so after investigating all possibilities, I need a new turn signal switch. I got a new one this morning at a cost of $178 Canadian!!!! Naturally, the weather here today sucks, threatening skies, light showers. The only way to access the connectors is under the dash so I have to keep the door open.

OF COURSE, it begins to pour so I can't do anything that means three more days without turn signals until my next few days off.

A QUESTION THOUGH:

How do you get to the connector under the dash?? I could barely see it let alone figure out how it unplugs. It plugs into a spot where there are other plug-ins, does that whole unit come down so you can see it better??

Thanks.

Hey, I don't know much about helping you out, but noticed you were from ottawa. Me to, what part of Ottawa are you from? And yes I agree the weather DOES suck here today. Welcome to the board and good luck with this, the guys will help you out with this and like EVERY OTHER problem you have!

Hey another fellow Ottawan!??!! Nice Olds you got there too.

I am in the East end near Orleans, Blackburn Hamlet actually. Figures that yesterday was so nice but I didn't have the money to get the part I needed.

My GP isn't real pretty but she is under construction and getting there.

Yes, I'm in The west end, Stittsville actually, and lol, good ol blackburn, used to play hockey there back in the day...3-5 yrs ago. Good luck fixing your problem.

PS. thanks for the comments on my car! always love getting comments! :D

A QUESTION THOUGH:

How do you get to the connector under the dash?? I could barely see it let alone figure out how it unplugs. It plugs into a spot where there are other plug-ins, does that whole unit come down so you can see it better??

it is not necessary for that enitre unit to come down. where all the wires run into the FRONT it, there should be a 7mm screw. if you unscrew that, it allows all those wires to pull free from the unit in the form of 2 connectors (or one big one i forget). anways when thats free your still not out of the woods. 2 ignition wires run into the old connector and must be placed into the new turn signal switch's connector. youll see what i mean when u have it apart

Ahaha - I had started removing that screw (it's the one right in the centre of that jumble right?) when it started to pour. That will definetely make it easier to access.

Thanks for reminding me about the extra wires, it is mentioned in the tech manual I have but knowing me, I would have forgtten them

Thanks for your help. Now, I just have to wait until Tuesday so I can fix it.

i too need to replace my turn signal switch, ecept i got mine at a junkyard for 30 dollars in american, i saw the guy take out the switch and he pulled the wires through a tunnel in the steering colummn, im not sure if its any different on your car but the guy had to take off the whole damn steering column! i have no idea how im gonna do that here, but good luck! ill be trying the same thing in a couple weeks

you dont need to pull to column to snake the wires........you just, um, snake the wires down. its not hard, definatley not the hardest part. if you have to you can tie a piece of string around the clip between 2 wires and do a true snake job, altho i found it not hard at all to just shove it down. whoever ripped the column out must have had plenty of time on their hands

yah it took him about 45 mins, how long should it take? like, would i be able to do the whole thing in 1 day? i hope so ! he took it out of an early 90's lumina and its the exact same things pretty much, just different colors, i went into looking for a new hood and come out with a new turn signal switch, lol, junkyards rule

The only thing you have to watch for is if you have steering wheel controls because there are contacts on that one that aren't on the other ones, my controls don't work but a guy I talked to at a dealership said that it might not work if you don't use the same one.

I don't know if it is true or not - either way, I don't want to do this again (I can take my steering wheel off blindfolded now!!).

The tech manual I have says that you should remove two bolts and drop the steering column to remove the harness - but if it can be done without doing that, I would rather not. I'll wait and see how the old one comes out.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys - I really appreciate it!! :D