Causes of "memory steer"?

gimp19

Last week I had to take my whole left front spring and strut assembly out and replace the spring plate and outer tie rod end. My alignment got alittle out of wack (it was already off some before I replaced the spring plate) so I decided to have an alignment done when I took it for NYS inspection. When I picked it up the mechanic told me left inner tie rod was bent but he got it to with in the toe specs.

Then he told me that I had alittle "memory steer" and it could be due to the rusty drivers side spring plate or a bad steering gear. When I drove it home from the garage it went as strait as an arrow (much better then before) but after a turn I would have to hold the wheel just alittle to the left to keep it going strait. He also told me that soaking the spring plate with WD-40 could get rid of the problem.

We have the same problem with our 1994 Pontiac Grand Am. We brought the car for wheel alignment and they have to drive it first before they give the car back to us (I was not in the car when they tested it). When we drove the car back home, I noticed that I have to hold the steering wheel to keep it straight otherwise the car would steer to the right.

We brought it back and they "fixed" it this time. I can leave the steering wheel without holding it and the car will go straight but they did not set the steering wheel properly so the steering wheel is turned 2 degree to the right all the time.

Then he told me that I had alittle "memory steer" and it could be due to the rusty drivers side spring plate or a bad steering gear. When I drove it home from the garage it went as strait as an arrow (much better then before) but after a turn I would have to hold the wheel just alittle to the left to keep it going strait. He also told me that soaking the spring plate with WD-40 could get rid of the problem.

My late Beretta did that as well. Found out it was a worn steering gear and the steering wheel center itself when turing left and be off-center (but still driving straight) when turning right. It's one of those quirks of an old vehicle; sure, you could replace the rack-and-pinion, but why at the cost?

- RedFox340

Didn't he replace the front strut bearing? Usually that causes memory steer problems I would say 8 out of 10 times. It's a little deceptively flimsy looking ring and it's fairly cheap. What makes it expensive to replace is the labor cost since you have to remove the springs to put them in.