Powermaster III ABS to vacuum brake switch HELP NEEDED!!!!!

chevy1

Hi!

in my 1989 2.8 cutlass supreme internationale PM III was broken :sad:

I don enough money to buy new unit - I want to switch to normal vacuum powered brakes ( I find a quite good brake pump and vacuum booster from 1989 grand prix on junk yard in good price)

DO I HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO CHANGE BRAKES ???

what about brake pedal, brake stop switch??? and other thinks working with it???

thanks for any help! :wink:

been there and done that. in fact... I saw a GP in yard last week that was stripped of it's firewall plate. since it was an automatic... I'm sure it was being used for a powermaster upgrade!

I've done this.....

YOU NEED TO LOCATE A DONOR VEHICLE. from it you must get ALL the componets that an regular car has that your car does not.

fire-wall plate - requires removal of the entire dash and all HVAC components.

pedal bracket assembly

vac booster

master cylinder - non abs is easy, But I've chose to use a 92W-body ABS system

vac hose to booster

vac nipple on intake

Quality brake lines - I recyler excellent brake lines from a rust free donor

A hole in the head. this is no easy job.

but before you POWN the PMIII here's a link with info that could help you fix it.

http://www.tpsgarage.com/TGP/brakes/powermaster.htm

[quote name=Crazy K

YOU NEED TO LOCATE A DONOR VEHICLE.

[/quote]

thanks for reply

but my english is poor (i am from europe)

do you mean that i could change firewall???

[quote name=Crazy K

YOU NEED TO LOCATE A DONOR VEHICLE.

[/quote]

thanks for reply

but my english is poor (i am from europe)

do you mean that i could change firewall???

my bad I was still updating info.

Where are you currently located?

I'm sure it was being used for a powermaster upgrade!

Believe me, Powermaster to vacuum is a major downgrade, no matter how expensive PMIII parts are. The Cutlass will out-brake most cars I've been in, including the Regal.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote authornot.

pedal bracket assembly

do I a have to remove fire wall from other car?????????????????????

Like I said before, do the PMIII swap, it isn't very expensive, and will be quite a bit easier than doing a vacuum brake swap.

[quote authornot.

pedal bracket assembly

do I a have to remove fire wall from other car?????????????????????

if you go that route... not the entire firewall, but the firewall plate will need to be removed from the donor, requiring all the hvac and everything being removed fromt he firewall.

From the sounds of it, chevy1, you aren't interested in the PM III, I didn't care for it either.

This is my mini-write up on how to swap the PM 3 to the non-abs.

The first thing you gotta do is remove the PM3 by the two bolts that hold it in place and disconnect it from the brake pedal. then you gotta pull out the steering column. Then The entire dash assembly, I had to take mine out piece by piece. Then the HVAC box and everything in it. Then you must remove the firewall plate, I had to be very careful because I couldn't get the back of the HVAC out so it was still kinda holding it in. Some bolts on the plate must be taken out from the engine compartment, some must be taken out from the passenger area. Then put the non-abs firewall plate in very carefully, sliding it between the HVAC and into the firewall. Then Reverse of Removal.

You asked about the parts needed from the donor vehicle, you will need to pull the firewall plate, i don't think its even possible to swap the entire firewall, the firewall plate holds the brake booster and master and goes down to below where the steering column goes through the firewall. Its not a fun project but i like the simplicity of the non-abs master cylinder better. You may need the brake mount that connects to the firewall, I don't remember if i used mine from the donor vehicle or not. You'll need the brake pedal itself as well.

Since I don't plan on driving my TGP in the winter its not a big deal. But to each his own, obviously some people here prefer the PM III.

• 1 month later...

From the sounds of it, chevy1, you aren't interested in the PM III, I didn't care for it either.

THANKS FOR EVERY ONE !!!

my mechanic made a swap!

I HAVE a BRAKES :smile: :smile: :smile: