Power Antenna

PJB

My friend installed a Pioneer deck in his '97 Supreme and now his power antenna doesnt work. The deck doesnt have a wire for the antenna so it doesnt go up or get reception.

Is there a way to make it work?

The bastard is borrowing the non power antenna from my car for now.

Wow out of the three decks I've owned and the others I've installed I have yet to see one one without a p/antenna wire. Even my old Jensen deck had one. I dont think it would be impossible to wire it up, but have know idea what the best route would be.

cant u just wire it to the ignition hot only wire? its either yellow or red. car washes will be a problem tho. i guess should u have to use one of them things, turn the car off, go unplug the antenna in the trunk then turn it back on

If he just bought the deck he should return it a buy another one thats what I'd do.

It came out of a wrecked Sunfire he got.

I guess he'll just have to get a regular antenna.

Tap the "switched 12v" to the antenna lead in the harness. I had to do that on My Cutlass with the cheap Pioneer in it, while I'm waiting on my Alpine to get back from the land of warranty service

Will it go down when the car is turned off though?

I told my friend to try tapping into the power wire, but he swears it wont go down at all.

He's kinda thickheaded when I try to get him to try stuff sometimes.

If you tap it into the wire thats only hot when the ignition is in acc. or run, it will get power in those positions like just about all the other interior electronics do.

I told my friend to try tapping into the power wire, but he swears it wont go down at all.

how does he think the HU turns on and off with the car then? hm, must be that magical wire, the same one you can tap the antenna wire into.

how does he think the HU turns on and off with the car then? hm, must be that magical wire, the same one you can tap the antenna wire into.

Ok, Ill tell him to do it then. He tends not to believe me sometimes.

I'm surprized that nobody suggested using the remote wire. The power antenna wire is nothing more than a remote wire that only turns on when the tuner is turned on. When you are listening to a cd it shuts off and lowers the antenna. If he's really that worried about it tell him to hook up a relay right off of the remote wire to provide 20+ amps and 12V. I usually do that N-e way. No guess work.

the wire i have to run my remote wire to my amp IS the switched +12v wire that we're all referring to. i do know what your talking about tho. my new head unit had a whole seprate orange wire specifically labeled remote. i guess so you dont have to tap into that one like i did the orange one coming right out of the harness can be used to for that. i bareley see any more ease in going that route tho. they both do the same thing

I thought you all were refering to the switched 12V for the head unit, not the remote wire. The ease is that in the trunk you can run the wire right over to the antenna. Unless you keep your amps elsewhere.

Remote wire IS the wire that's supposed to control the power antenna on most HU's except Sony and a couple other brands. Those are extra cool because they have a special ANT wire that only raises the antenna on AM/FM reception and lowers it for CD.