Cadillac night vision

GutlessSupreme

Surprised no one has even ever mentioned this here. Though I guess finding a complete system wouldn't exactly be easy (or cheap). Would be a sweet addition to my STE :cool:

I dont mean to be a dick, but whats the point of this? :dunno: I guess it would be neat, but probably not the most practical

I take it you don't live in a rural area with deer and all kinds of other stuff running around in front of you?

I think it would be awesome. Making it work might be tough, depending on what inputs it gets from other modules. Since it wasn't that widely used I'm guessing it's mostly stand alone. Besides mounting the sensor in the grille I would think it wouldn't be that much harder than a HUD to install, but I could be very wrong.

I take it you don't live in a rural area with deer and all kinds of other stuff running around in front of you?

x10.

not to mention the newfound ease we'd have in spotting our favorite state troopers on the side of the highway at night.

From what I've read about it, it is a very sophisticated system but I agree that it seems like it should be mostly standalone. Biggest problem is I don't think very many units were made (>10k) so finding one will be a bitch and a half.

they talked about it on Cartalk years ago... as i understand it is shows up like like the hud as a projection along the lower portion of the windshield so you are wathcing the road above it too... but it is hella-great once you get used to it. so far no one has been able to stand my hud in any of my cars.... of the few who have driven one of the equipped ones. same difference.

It's cool, but that camera assembly looks huge. I think the LCD or CRT or whatever it is must be huge too.

I just never thought of a practical place to mount it in any of my cars.

Not to mention finding one is nearly impossible, though I admit I've never really looked for one.

A have a feeling it would be a lot easier to retrofit into a second gen which has much larger HUD units to begin with. I'm going to look into this. What sucks is that as far as I know, it doesn't function as a normal HUD unit during the day.

A few pictures:

00_cadillac_deville_dash2.jpg

00_cadillac_deville_pedals.jpg

00_cadillac_deville_nightvision1.jpg

Which Caddy and year do I need to look for? Do you think there is a large or long wiring harness to be pulled out so that I would have a complete set with camera, HUD and switch?

I could be very wrong.

EeeeeYUP!!!

It will not be easy... Lots of research and fabrication needed. If the systems works off the Class 2 Serial Data bus... You might get it to work on OBD2 cars but OBD1 will be a PITA. you'll need the FSM's from your car, and the Caddy the Nightvision system comes out of. (Deville, DTS) IIRC Cadillac did not make too many of those units.