DIS differences?

Psych0matt

So, I started up my car and stuff and checked out this other DIS I put in, and the one in now says "X miles til oil change" or something close to that, where as the old one said "X% oil life left". Is there certain year differences or something? Just thought I'd find out, it caught me off guard. kthxbai!

I've wondered myself. Please take pics and share of both your units. Can you read the GM part number on the back?

I should do a write-up on the DIC units... since I own like 50 different types from the various W-bodys.

ha, well, one's getting sold, and the other is in the car :-X it has no sticker or # on it, looks like there used to be.

(Ken, rockfangd is trying to get a hold of you, he needs the DIS pigtails if you have them :wink: )

ha, well, one's getting sold, and the other is in the car :-X it has no sticker or # on it, looks like there used to be.

(Ken, rockfangd is trying to get a hold of you, he needs the DIS pigtails if you have them :wink: )

dis pigtail... no extras but my eyes are open for them. I can make one from odds and ends by repinning... rockfangd PM me.

mines a 94. I wired all mine myself, but also had a chip burned for the 3.4/94. For some reason on mine the destination counter didnt work, and mostly i just wanted to see if it was a DIS unit problem, or a '94 problem, and i think it's just the DIS.

When the oil percent gets less than ten percent it changes to miles.

x2 mine did this as well. just don't actually follow what it says because I don't know if it ever reaches zero :lol: definetly was way beyond what it should've been.

i never wait that long because i normally change my oil every few months anyhow.and also i know there has to be a way to get the other features to work. Has anyone ever done this on a 94. Psych0matt how did you wire up yours into your 94 :mrgreen: can you possibly post a few pics

Theres a pinout on the site somewhere, the power wires were easy, and then the data wires were slightly harder, but not by much. I don't know off the top of my head anything except for that you have to splice in to the ALDL for tach signal, but thats it, i think everything else comes off the main cluster.

i know that the orange wire in te aldl is the chatter wire also known as the tach. Iuse this wire for my ub3 for the tach. SO you are saying that the features should all work with some effort. Also does having the ub3 cluster help to make the dis work

One thing to note Rockfangd:

You cant get a reprogrammed chip for your DIS to work 100% as matt's does.. THe chip is for the DOHC PCMs only.. It has to do with the way the system works for a 3100 vs the DOHC.. YOu can contact Shawn (GnatGoSplat).. He can give you a lot more info..

yeah, i bought one from shawn. No, the UB3 has nothing to do with the DIS. and like i was saying before, I think theres something about the range/destination counter that doesnt work, but unless you get it chipped it wouldnt work anyways

Work as in power on: Yes, I have sene it done

WOrk as in function 100%: No, at least based on research I have done, along with input from others who have tried.. The computer systems just speak to each other in 2 different languages.. Liking telling a French citizen all about astrophysics in your native English.. THey just wont understand each other.. Except maybe "Le oui" or the occasional Effenheimer..