Front bench seat replacement question

equivocal

I need to replace the front seat in my 1990 Lumina. It's a manual bench seat, but I would prefer bucket seats and what I've read suggests that this is routine, but without any details.

The bench seat doesn't have any inboard supports. Are the anchors already in place to bolt down bucket seats?

What range of model years and seat styles have compatible seats?

wait- do you have the solid 1-piece front bench seat, or the split 60/40 bench seat?

You should still have the provisions for bucket seats regardless. 60/40 seats used the same tracks as the buckets, so if you have the solid front bench, you may need to just locate the inner track mounts in the frame and cut away the carpet.

I believe any W seat will swap with any W seat. I've never seen a W with a solid bench, but I'm sure I've not seen everything.

My car went from this:

7771b76d.jpg

To this:

DSC03471.jpg

The worst I had to do was stretch and route the shift cable for the shifter, and cut the carpet to mount the shifter.

It's not hard to do, I recommend adding buckets.

my cutlass had a solid bench and i added buckets. the holes were there to bolt the seat down, but the inner holes were not threaded.

I've seen cutty's and lumi's in jy's with solid bench's. Or... atleast I'm pretty sure I have.

i would love to do that to my cutty but i would need the luxury buckets with all of the adjustments. that is possible right? :question:

I have a spare set of charcoal leather buckets/rear seat.....depending on where you are located, obviously

I believe any W seat will swap with any W seat. I've never seen a W with a solid bench, but I'm sure I've not seen everything.

My car went from this:

7771b76d.jpg

To this:

DSC03471.jpg

The worst I had to do was stretch and route the shift cable for the shifter, and cut the carpet to mount the shifter.

It's not hard to do, I recommend adding buckets.

that car looks hot now lol

are they full luxury or just 6 way. I want the one with the cluster in the middle with all of the buttons for the seats

they are the later style, which look 100x nicer but you are way too far away and I am not shipping 'em :D

yes, i have a solid bench seat in my 91 lumina. I actually enjoy it.

When i took my license test, the guy from the DMV got in and tried to move the seat back and was searching for the lever under his seat until he realized that it was a bench seat and he couldnt move back without me moving back.

Thanks. This has been helpful.

Yes, it's a one-piece bench, supported by a track on each end and a 2x4 in the middle. It was RPO A65 back in the day.

"Bucket seats" may have been too specific. I really just want individual seats on each side. Wouldn't even care if they were from different sets.

Good heads-up on having to tap the hole. Another thread mentioned M10x1.25. Is that what the OEM bolts are, or are they something else?

Bench seat FTW for obvious reasons.

No. That's near impossible. You fold the passenger seat down, that way you can brace your feet against the glove box.

Or the windsheild. The only problem I ever had was the Butt prints on the glass later!! Those are kinda hard to explain to your buddy cause it was his car you borrowed (true story).

John, did you ever get the rear leather seats? Or is it still cloth back there?

Yeah, actually, Ken and I did that around August of last year at Pick 'n' Pull, from a 4dr Cutlass with the fold down rear bench w/ armrest. They look great!

We swapped the seat out in the parking lot at Steak 'n' Shake in Columbus. :lol: :lol:

John, did you ever get the rear leather seats? Or is it still cloth back there?

Yeah, actually, Ken and I did that around August of last year at Pick 'n' Pull, from a 4dr Cutlass with the fold down rear bench w/ armrest. They look great!

We swapped the seat out in the parking lot at Steak 'n' Shake in Columbus. :lol: :lol:

Sweet!