Chiped door handles

godofthunder

Hey yall, the door handles on my car are all chiped up. Large areas of paint missing, and under it being either black or silver. I just wanted to know what the best way to paint them would be. I dont have the time, money, or energy to take each out, sand, and replace (well, i guess i could). What about sanding down loose areas, and just a few coats?

Also, what would be the best paint to use. I have 3 touch up paint canisters from GM, about 2.5-2.75 now. It matches ok, cept on horiz. surfaces. They do make a spray paint from Duplicolor, that works (dont know about matching).

Would it be best in the long haul to sand em, prime, and then the duiplicolor? But what about a clear coat like the rest of the car? Or, my other idea above. I dont wanan go the whole sand and restart thing, but can probably take them out, and do small work to em, like sand the needed areas, and apply a coat of tough up paint. Then, maybe do it again a month later (or just touch up while on car). Or i could do it the easiest way, leave them on the car

jon

If you're going to do it, do it right.

Pull em' off, sand them down (200+ grit at least for final coat) and get them looking great.

You'll thank yourself more when you put in the time first than trying to cover up a paint problem.

- RedFox340

200 grit is too rough and will leave scratches. Sand them with 400.

You'll need to clear the handles to have them look good. Im pretty sure you can get clear in a spray can too.

Hmm, i think i may just take a weekend, and take em out, paint, and then place back in. Should take up a sunday after church. How hard is it to remove these door handles? I did the same thing when i got the car to the wiper cowl, removed, sanded, primed, painted

jon