Class Action Lawsuit

3WH12-96

Having had my hands on a few thousand Dexcool cars over the last few years I have to say that lawsuit is absolute bullshit.

GM has a TONS of problems with crap gaskets................3100's and 3400's leak at the LIM's, 3800's (non SC) leak at the UIM's and 4.3's/5.0's and 5.7's leak wherever they want............

But guess what. It's got fuck-all to do with Dexcool.

I've seen just as high a percentage of 94-95 3100's and 95 3800 SII's leak as later models, and don't even start on 3300 and 3800 Series I engines.............they leak out the headgaskets and LIM's like you wouldn't believe...........and guess what.........NO Dexcool.

As for the sludge.............I go right back to those nasty little stop leak pellets..........which went in from the factory for almost a frigging decade.

Oops.....

The only thing I've seen is on cars that've switched from Dexcool to the conventioal stuff.

I GUARANTEE you'll be replacing a water pump in 1-2 years.

The new water pump O-rings are NOT designed for, or capable of dealing with the silicates in the green stuff.

Finally.

Dexcool CAN last 150K miles.

But ONLY if you do it in under 5 years. EVERYTHING I've ever read about antifreeze of ANY kind indicates time is of WAY more importance than mileage. Shit..........I don't care if you have 2 miles on your car...........if it's TIME, flush it.

dude my previous post TWO previous posts were to tell you and all that may care that I was WRONG I learned a couple things so you may be right but i was not jumping your shit over it I was admiting i was wrong ne way

I wasn't jumping your shit specifically........just pointing out that the lawsuit in question is propagated by stupid people who blame stuff on whatever comes to hand.

These are the same people who probably never flushed their coolant AT the specified 5 yr intervals to begin with.

People just want to blame somebody else for stuff.............

That and get free money.

It's like the idiots that sued Mercedes for not putting the fact that 98+ Mercs REQUIRE 0W40 synthetic oil in big bold neon-pink letters across the hood.

Oops......"I used the wrong shit and now my car is fucked......guess I better blame the dealer" :rolleyes:

dude i so agree i see it every day in my line of work and TOTALY agree sides when are these people ever gonna "stand up" and admit they fukd up?? never!!! it its their nature to blame someone else cause they have no clue and its never their fault .....it is like the people that want me to cut a key for their car with the vin over the phone...uhhh nooo who the hell are you ....then they get pissed at me... fuk them some of it im sure lack of common sense but mostly it comes from

Our parts department is VERY tough on VIN key cutting......requiring a driver's license and title/registration (or a ticket through the shop)...people do bitch, but we simpy say its for theft reasons and whatnot, and offer to let them use the phone to call a locksmith/tow truck if they're locked out.

Anyways, back to topic....

First off, who's little head DIDN"T light up at the words lawsuit and DexCool? I know mine did....money drives people to do things.....second only to God.

Like everyone else seems to agree...its shitty gaskets.....I'll bet most people that do blame the gaskets have either done an intake job, seen it done, or simply looked at the gaskets from accross the room on the parts shelf.

That, and I don't think you COULD design a gasket that won't leak.....small blocks (V6 and V8) leak just as bad as 3x00s (plus the water pumps are 100x worse)....only they cost about a third less to fix and are in vechiles that requirer a higher level of maintance (trucks and vans)...so people don't bitch as much.

The latest 4.3 gaskets I've seen have had an aluminum backing with green seals.

Anyone ever see the tank of an Equinox? They are BLACK at 5k miles.....they get the same pellets...and cause an AWFUL stink. In fact, you have to do a Prestone Super Flush (its actual name) and replace all the hoses to get it out....and then if you are LUCKY.

L67 guys seem to think that DexCool is worse than female genitial elephantitis....somehow, I know the GTP guys are behind this. Oddly enough, it seems L67s leak less coolant than any other GM 'V" engine.

Also, not to rub slat in the wound or to be a dick.......but you said you hate stuipd people at work.......WELL, you managed to make yourself look not smart...by posting and expressing your view of something that doesn't seem to be exactly true.

Honestly, I signed my name up on a site about the class action lawsuit. I know Dex-cool didn't cause my truck's leaky intake manifold, but it would be really cool if it turned out I could get it fixed for free.

As far as intake manifold gaskets go, I've never had any problems with the cardboard-like ones on the 2.8 and 3.1's. They definitely last at least 200k miles without problems. I think the rubber & plastic ones on the newer engines only last about 100k if not less.

Not that you drive it hard or anything though :rolleyes:

It's NEVER sat at 5900rpm in 3rd gear for 2+ miles has it (it has a 2.93 FDR.......do the math) :lol: :burnout: :wink:

Have you ever really taken advantage of the new 'No-governor' status BTW????

Even just to bury the needle or anything?

I really wish I knew WHY dexcool is being blamed here, is it because about the time the 3100s problems were coming out was about when the change to dexcool was done to new cars? or is it simply because it it is red? I'm betting the latter. I'll soon be doing my second 1995 L36 intake gasket job in 6 months soon, no dexcool there.

we are talking bout two seperate things....the gaskets are shit by themselves no matter what coolant is used. AGREED and appearently GM agrees cause some of the gaskets that im selling now.. not for any of our engines so far... but some V-8's are metal now...the coolant Dex itself as I have learned from many on here and askin round seems to be ok now (was shit when it first came out) and agreed that the lawsuit was brought on by stupid people that dont know what they are talking bout...stupid people like i mentioned b4 that think i should just cut them a key off a vin # just cause they asked me to ...makes no sense to me and pisses me off..the key cut mention earlier was to give another example how stupid non thinking people can be or just how difficult it can be dealing with the public at times..we all know them, the people that dont have a clue xcpt how to talk on the cell and attempt to drive or want to return a part cause it did not fix their problem.... not car guys like us (gals like montiecarlochick) we seem to have a head on our shoulders.....NOTHING lasts forever... where are the people with first Gen S/T trucks at bitching bout their fuel pumps years ago?? where are all the early mid 90's 4.3 egr valve people at?? SHIT breaks and this is not welfare its a vehicle and there is no free lib ride for all..... you used it and WORE it out fix it or get rid of it and that goes for ANY manufactuer worldwide :cool: and ill say it one more time the gaskets are SHIT...AGREED

g

Dex-cool isn't just GM specific.... Here is a brief list of coolant used by each manufacturer

untitled-2.jpg

Don't hear of any other manufacturer's with problems with Dex-cool... So yeah, gaskets are crap. But people mixing Dex-cool with tap water does lead to quicker corrosion and damage to already crap gaskets...

That charts isn't very accurate............

For one, while Chrysler DOES have an orange/pink long life coolant it is most assuredly NOT Dexcool.

For one, it has silicates (Dex doesn't), and makes no mention of being interchangeable (which I've found out seperately, it ISN'T).

Also, 01 is a guess.............some Dodges etc switched as early as 98, others as late as 03........

On top of that, Ford has ANOTHER type of long-life that is yellow, Toyota has an orange one (again, NOT Dexcool.........I know this because Geo/Chevy Prizm's have it, and it does NOT mix.......there are TSB's about it), Mitsu has a GREEN long life (how confusing is THAT).........etc. etc etc.............

Basically, it's getting like auto tranny fluids (of which there are a dozen+ types now): all coolant is pretty much manuafacturer and year specific.

its all bout sellin cars obviously...cause the salesman can say 150,000 miles on the coolant 100,000 miles on this and that

then these dumbasses think that they dont have to maintain their vehicles

Have you ever really taken advantage of the new 'No-governor' status BTW????

Even just to bury the needle or anything?

There is a decent stretch of road south of Elkhart that gives it enough room to get nearly all the way to its end of the speedometer...and into 5th in the Camaro.