Really bad news for the TGP (possibly) *updated* =)

RareGMFan

you don't really need that idler pulley to bypass the AC, i've seen it done on several 3.1 cars, all you really need to get the job done till you get a new compressor is a shorter belt.

The A/C compressor itself is not locked up. I can grab the end of the compressor and turn it easily. The part of the a/c compressor when the belt freewheels until the clutch is engaged is seized.

The Plan (as of last night at least) is to let the car sit until the weather gets nicer. Then replace the starter and get a shorter belt. Then later on when Dikran is fixing the TGP the a/c compressor will get replaced.

Also, he already got an OEM replacement starter a week ago. It's brand new. He was going to get the gear reduction starter but this was too good of a deal to pass up.

The A/C compressor itself is not locked up. I can grab the end of the compressor and turn it easily. The part of the a/c compressor when the belt freewheels until the clutch is engaged is seized.

The Plan (as of last night at least) is to let the car sit until the weather gets nicer. Then replace the starter and get a shorter belt. Then later on when Dikran is fixing the TGP the a/c compressor will get replaced.

Also, he already got an OEM replacement starter a week ago. It's brand new. He was going to get the gear reduction starter but this was too good of a deal to pass up.

Ohh ok. I would still get the pulley its cheap enough. Without it I would worry about having enough tension on the water pump.

mines on the way, its had the sound of rolling metal since the engine swap. dont know that that had anything to do with it, but i suspect that's something I'll have to tackle this summer, i just keep ignoring it because i dont want to have to deal with it (and i dont use my ac anyways)

I got a perfect one at the junkyard for $15 but I get good deals. :lol: you couldnt pay me to put on a oem replacement on mine. :wink:

Well....I may still get a newer one since I have to wait another month or so before replacing it. I had been putting off the starter because I was waiting for a chance to get a newer one, but decided to go with the OEM because of time restraints (when mine completely croaked), PLUS the fact it was free. But I'm sure I can pick one up pretty cheap myself from the yards around here, so I may just go with a newer style one anyway.