Finally! A working factory CD deck.

White93z34

i just got it back last friday from getting a new cd mechanisim put in. and marks the first time i have seen 100% functional first gen cd player. it sounds prety decent too. powers my infinitys in the doors very well as it does the rear cheepo 6*9s. it cost TOO MUCH but to me is worth it.

factorycd.JPG

yes, it is actually playing a cd, not saying ERR and spitting it back at me.

factorycd1.JPG

and all lit up at night, it just looks so right.

is that a bulb out on the right?

I like those radios. GM's got some good ones.

yeah there is a bulb out on it, i gotta get around to replacing it, along with rebulbing my HVAC unit.

Oh yeah? So who gave you that otherwise mint CD player for free?

yes yes you were the one who gave it to me, i just had to travel to pick it up :lol: and it is by far the best out of the Lumina CD decks i have.

Too bad the Luminas never got SWRC. There's no place on the wheel for them!

Id build a Pad and stick the controls in the console.. I still might for the Olds..

Looks great Chris.. Real nice i there. I LOVE the factory look.. Been tempted WAAAY too many times to go back to my factory Olds. CD deck, and will if I can get an iPod hooked in the same way mine is w/ my pioneer..

Id build a Pad and stick the controls in the console.. I still might for the Olds..

Looks great Chris.. Real nice i there. I LOVE the factory look.. Been tempted WAAAY too many times to go back to my factory Olds. CD deck, and will if I can get an iPod hooked in the same way mine is w/ my pioneer..

You probably won't be able to since it doesn't have the CD changer provisions. Sell it to me?! PLEASE?!

I thought about wanting MP3 capability plenty of times, and at one point had a MP3 deck in my Camaro. But in the end I guess I'd just rather burn a CD every now and then then bother with a iPod, or any sorta MP3 deck.

I plan on doing the same but.... I want mine mounted on the steering wheel. I will hand make a circuit board with resistors, locate that board in the cavity behind the airbag, and have small push buttons mounted through the sides or rear of the steering wheel itself.

Chris... I have an idea of how to make an SWRC to work on your car, one that will be much simpler than the OEM. I'll do a write-up of a theoretic how-to at some point.

That radio DOES NOT support SWRC, really.

I mean, it'll work, but half-assed. You can't control the CD player, and the volume works goofy. If you turn it down with the SWRC controls, it's still up high on the radio, so if you accidentally bump the knob it'll be really loud. I had that radio in my Cutlass with the controls in that. It sucks.

That radio DOES NOT support SWRC, really.

I mean, it'll work, but half-assed. You can't control the CD player, and the volume works goofy. If you turn it down with the SWRC controls, it's still up high on the radio, so if you accidentally bump the knob it'll be really loud. I had that radio in my Cutlass with the controls in that. It sucks.

each model SWRC controls functions differently. needs to be tested with a different SWRC controller to be sure.

Cool man...my first gen cd player half ass works iguess you could say..have to tap the top of the dash pad above the cd player as it is loading to "jolt" the laser pick up and then it'll play...this is after spending over $200 on it..so after a bit I just said fuck it and went aftermarket...I miss the factory look though.

You probably won't be able to since it doesn't have the CD changer provisions. Sell it to me?! PLEASE?!

I know that there is a way to incorporate an aux. input onto these decks. I managed to get one working half ass just to test, and it worked really well. I located the left and right audio signal inputs to the head unit from my cassette deck, and from what i could tell, there is a +5v signal that switches the deck from radio to cassette/cd. I am seriously going to try and build one into My GS, and if that works, then build one into the cutlass.

I know that there is a way to incorporate an aux. input onto these decks. I managed to get one working half ass just to test, and it worked really well. I located the left and right audio signal inputs to the head unit from my cassette deck, and from what i could tell, there is a +5v signal that switches the deck from radio to cassette/cd. I am seriously going to try and build one into My GS, and if that works, then build one into the cutlass.

I've tested doing just the same with mixed results. i could hear a low quality signal. I want to try again sometime.