Just wondering... Cutlass vs. GP

Broan

Cutlass wanted to be different I guess....why does the Lumina coupe have significantly different doorhandles yet it's the same basic concept? I guess just call it originality

Cutlass wanted to be different I guess....why does the Lumina coupe have significantly different doorhandles yet it's the same basic concept? I guess just call it originality

Significantly different? Visibly? They look the same at a glance.

I noticed GP and Cutlass door handles are different too. Not interchangeable at all. Same with the mirrors.

They really don't share anything external except maybe side door glass and windshields.

Significantly different? Visibly? They look the same at a glance.

I noticed GP and Cutlass door handles are different too. Not interchangeable at all. Same with the mirrors.

They really don't share anything external except maybe side door glass and windshields.

GP vs cutlass handles are off by a little, but the Lumina coupes have a HUGE space between the keyhole and door (vertically). Almost like the window sill sits lower! I'm pretty sure the Regal and GP have the same doors and hardware, why couldn't Cutlass and Lumina have the same as well? It just strikes me as odd for GM

Anybody have any idea why the Cuttys have wraparound rear windshields and all the others have divided?

Looks better? I think so...

Actually since the original target was "older" people, it was to clear up the blind spot of the vehicle.

Less head turns to merge making it easier on the older generations. Perhaps?

- RedFox340

Anybody have any idea why the Cuttys have wraparound rear windshields and all the others have divided?

Actually since the original target was "older" people, it was to clear up the blind spot of the vehicle.

I don't know about that... I think it was just a styling thing.

At the time, "clean" was in. It definitely looks cleaner and sleeker to have the windows wraparound the rear. They probably copied this look from the 86-91 Mercury Sable. The Ford Probe also had this styling cue in common. Even Chrysler on some of their LH cars (Eagle Vision I think), painted all the pillars black for a cleaner look.

Or more likely they were copying the Sable which with its Taurus sibling, were the two most successful cars in that entire decade.

- RedFox340

What about the Buick then? The Regal has probably the biggest C-pillar of all W-bodies yet the oldest buying demographic (maybe too old to turn their heads? :D )

I think it's just to give the cars a little different look. GM trying to show they can build cars on the same platform and not have them all be virtual replicas of one another like in the '80s.

Yah, I really don't know why they did nor care, but IMO I think the older cutlasses, 88-91, look the best out of the w cars. Then again, maybe cuz I own one in good shape. lol, but I really do like the wrap around rear-window for sure, definetly looke better than if there was a pilar there!

Yah, I really don't know why they did nor care, but IMO I think the older cutlasses, 88-91, look the best out of the w cars. Then again, maybe cuz I own one in good shape. lol, but I really do like the wrap around rear-window for sure, definetly looke better than if there was a pilar there!

w3rd. The glass house W's own all :D

At first I didn't like my car at all, I only bought it cause it was cheap and I found it three blocks from my house. After owning it for 2years everything I didn't like about the car (the wrap around glass is one of them) when I first bought it have really grown on me. After I get my analog dash put in and some buckets it will be near perfect.

I don't know. I think the 92-96 looked better. Maybe i'm just saying that because I used to own a 96 coupe.

if my pillarified window gets broken, it's a bit cheaper to fix than your big ol' wraparounds ;) otherwise though... I'd have to drive a wrappy to know the reall diff.... but it does look good :) maybe not better than my Lumi... but close

if my pillarified window gets broken, it's a bit cheaper to fix than your big ol' wraparounds ;) otherwise though... I'd have to drive a wrappy to know the reall diff.... but it does look good :) maybe not better than my Lumi... but close

Are we talking 2 door or 4 door?