2002 Olds Intrigue. W body suggestions/help.

EvilDeadFan

Hey folks. EvilDeadFan here. I'm a moderator over at http://www.dodgeintrepid.net, and I love my first gen Intrepid.

My parents basically picked up a barely used 2002 Olds Intrigue with the 3.5. GX model.

I'm just wondering what prevenative recommondations, do's and donts and such that I should look out for. Also, are there any parts that like wearing out fast? Such as brakes?

Thanks in advance for the advice/comments. ;) 8)

Only thing I've heard of is the steering intermediate shaft wearing out and causing play in the steering, but they probably fixed it in time for 02 cars.

Thanks for the heads up.

They've been driving an 89 ( completely rusted out) Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra. But the f'n thing runs like a tank! literally. The engine seems bullet proof. Besides regular maintenance, the thing was and still is fully driveable.

Now that they have this new car, it's competition for mine. :)

My Intrepid has a 3.5 dohc motor as well, with 1 horsepower less 214HP motor, and 221 torque as compared to the intrigue's 230.

THis sounds like a hell of a lot of competition for mine, being the same weight to a t pretty much, and a little more powerful.

I love my car... but wit an estimated 30% parasitic loss from my crappy 42LE trannie. DAd might be able to kick my ass now. ;)

(no physical jokes though, I'm 6'3 and he's 5'10)

Nice forums you've got here. I'll visit from time to time if they experience issues.

Next step. we have the slackest tint laws ever here. Time to get some 15% for the old man's ride. :)

So Chrysler rated your engine at 214/221 or you had it dyno'd? I'm sure no GM engine, or any engine for that matter, makes exactly what the company rates it at.

So Chrysler rated your engine at 214/221 or you had it dyno'd? I'm sure no GM engine, or any engine for that matter, makes exactly what the company rates it at.

Nahhh, I didn't have my car dyno'd. Those are the factory specs. Yes, I know mostly every car does not come to par with it's dyno numbers, or are severely underrated for insurance reasons etc.

I'd probably dyno 180 at the wheels because of the horrible loss in the transmission. But it does haul pretty good for a family sedan.

As for fast, I have plans for a Toyota Cressidia, a '91. White, And well the 5gme? engines that supras have, well this car has them. I'll get a jdm swap in it, the car's already real wheel drive, and I'd get a manual conversion. It'd make a great a great drifting car. And my goal would be 300rwhp.

As for my current car? It's reliable enough, rides great, and I enjoy using it what it's meant for. Comfy peppy ride. :) Oh, and a lot better than some base economy car that has a lifespan of 7 years..

Oh, I took an olds cutlass supreme out for a test drive before. Had an amazing ride, power lumbar seats, and a trip computer. Very sweet.

My dad also used to own a 72 Chevelle. You can't ever go wrong with a fairly light chassis, a 350 V-8, and 4 on the floor. ;)

Oh, and here's a quick pic of my car. (I've since shaved the mouldings, but it's too dark to take a pic right now..)

daytint.jpg

I've always like the first gen Intrepids, they have a nice look I think. As for the newer style ones, :puke: Nice lookin' car you got there! Now you just need to trade it in for a W! :wink:

Aaron

evil devil, im over at your place sometimes! My parrents bought a 2002 Intrepid ES, nice car. Drives like a boat to me, but has the 3.5 with the 250HP, so Ive never got to gun it. When clean, its a very nice looking car.

Just wanted to say welcome. Ive got a friend whos got a Older intrigue, im trying to get her to come here sometime

jon

Thank you two. :)

Actually the next car I want is a project car.

Think of a Toyota Cressida. It's a fully loaded Toyota (1991). I'd get one with full trim. It has the same engine as a similar year supra, auto transmission out of the supra, and rear diff from yet again, a supra. Inline 6.

I'd get a JDM fully built up supra engine of that year, that would bolt up, but turbocharged with the hopes of reaching 300RWHP. White, rims, body kit. Get some drifting action going on, and suprise a lot of ricers around here. (hell, even most muscle cars.) We all know that with the right tuning, supra engines are monsters. SO I think it's a good and fun project for the future.

219070_26_full.jpg

Now think of that car with nicer rims, tint, and shaved body mouldings. Nice and slammed. Sport car season only. (Drifting! woot. :D )

luminator94, We're already accepting a W into the family, so I've go to be in the good graces now ;) ;).

godofthunder, floor it some time. You'de love the pick up. :D

I have the first gen 3.5 in mine and it hauls some pretty good ass. I've eaten up some W's. Non supercharged 3.8's etc. Although with their pushrod design, it'spretty much up to the driver, because they seem pretty f'n torquey off the line. I'd steadily creep past on the higher ups, but I'm more of a takeoff guy myself. With this car, I take it easy, because it's meant to cruise, not drag. :)

My mom used to have a 95 ES with the 3.5 and the thing hauled ass. After the climate control had to be replaced 3 times, the engine removed to fix a wire, the weather stripping falling off constantly, and the trans slipping horribly at only 90k she decided to sell it. Aside from all the gremlins I liked the car and it was one sweet engine.