LED Bulbs

tdaye

I just don't understand what is wrong here. I had every bulb in the Z changed to LED's. They were incredibly bright. I'm not understanding why everyone is saying they are too dim. I know mine werent.

Maybe your eyes don't process brightness the same as mine do?

Replacement LED bulbs look kind of bright at night, until you compare them to OEM incandescents. Did you compare them side-by-side? Compare them on a sunny day? I did, the ones that reflect off the lens aren't nearly bright enough and the forward facing ones just make small bright spots of light on the lens, nowhere near the lumen output of an incandescent.

If it were so easy to get suitable light output out of plug-in replacement LED bulbs, I guarantee most car companies would have just done that rather than redesigning custom LED housings with matrices and Luxeons.

OH Shawn, this thread totally reminds me of a type of tail lamp using led's and a clear, but serrated(sp?) tube that the light travels though. It emitts at the serrations. VERY VERY cool looking design, and the light output is pretty nice also. It's very similar to the halo's that BMW uses in there headlamps. In fact, I thought the design was for BMW, but I can't seem to find any pictures.

OH Shawn, this thread totally reminds me of a type of tail lamp using led's and a clear, but serrated(sp?) tube that the light travels though. It emitts at the serrations. VERY VERY cool looking design, and the light output is pretty nice also. It's very similar to the halo's that BMW uses in there headlamps. In fact, I thought the design was for BMW, but I can't seem to find any pictures.

Find it, I wanna see!

Find it, I wanna see!

I even searched around on the Mercedes website, and thought I seen something similar, but the picture was pretty damn small.

http://autogaleria.pl/tapety/img/mercedes-benz/mercedes_slr_2003_05_m.jpg

Closest thing I could find. Basically, where they have the two silver things running through the taillight, replace them with a clear tube with like cuts or serations on them. Those "cuts" is what lets the light out. There would be a narrow angle, high output LED on both ends with some sort of black boot so no light escapes, and it only shoots down the tube. The tube is about 1/2" in diameter.