LED Bulbs

tdaye

Has anyone tried LED brakelight (ect..) bulbs? I tried them on my Cutlass SL and they didn't work right. I was told it was because you need a digital signal flasher. Even though the brake lights didn't work right either...

I changed all 4 in my tail lights and the signals wouldn't flash, the brake lights didn't come on and the tail lights were dim. I'm not sure why they said it had something to do with my flasher not being digital.

I tried LEDs, I also tried some specail xenon lights because I was looking for brighter lights when I tinted my tails. The LEDs were junk, they weren't as bright and they only lasted about 10 minutes before they blew the fuse. The xenon lights never blew a fuse, but they still weren't as bright as the normal light bulbs.

Big waste of money IMHO... if I'm shellin out that kind of cash for lights I not only want them to be brighter, I want the damn things to work.

Jamie

I have to agree with everyone else here.. LED's might look cool from the pictures on the package, but they're absolute crap. I tried them as well, and they didn't work worth of crap, so I took them back to crappy tire for a refund.

thats weird mine do work great..i duno..i stole mine neways so its free..kinda like how i stole all my other lights.

I'm guessing you took them from a junkyard or something? You didn't really walk into AutoZone and shove a few bulbs in your pocket, did you?

Wow every single bulb on my Z except the headlights, are LED's. They all work amazing and are super bright.The only things I had to do was step my flasher up to a LED truck flasher. It was like $3. Without it the bulbs flashed like strobes. But they worked great for me.

btw i walked into canadain tire and stole them thru the metal case.then used a knife and cut the packagaes and then walked out..ive done it with big leds and strobes and my plugs and wires actually to.

btw i walked into canadain tire and stole them thru the metal case.then used a knife and cut the packagaes and then walked out..ive done it with big leds and strobes and my plugs and wires actually to.

I sure hope your pulling our legs! If so ignor the next few lines...

If not you deserve a smack upside the head... people like you are the reason shit goes in those cases and the rest of us are inconveinienced by having to track down one of the useless associates at crappy tire to open the stupid things. Not to mention the reason that prices seem to go up on a daily basis.

Jamie

They don't work because older W's user a thermal flasher. It causes a bimetallic strip to get hot under load to turn the bulbs off, then when it cools down, the bulbs turn on and the process repeats. LEDs don't use enough current to heat up the bimetallic strip.

You will need an electronic flasher designed for LEDs.

If they don't work for brake lights either, then you may have accidentally bought single "filament" bulbs. You need one with dual circuits, a dimmer one for park and a brighter one for brake.

No LED "bulbs" are bright enough, and they all look stupid, just a bright spot of light and the rest of the housing dark. Retarded. There is a reason OEMs use an LED matrix. That's the only way to go.

They don't work because older W's user a thermal flasher. It causes a bimetallic strip to get hot under load to turn the bulbs off, then when it cools down, the bulbs turn on and the process repeats. LEDs don't use enough current to heat up the bimetallic strip.

You will need an electronic flasher designed for LEDs.

THATS the anwser I was looking for, thank you.

Terry

I actually bought and still have some of those. They do put out even light that fills the entire light housing, but still way too dim. Their bright "filament" is only bright enough to be a parking lamp.

I never tried the 194's. I think the only way to get enough light output from an LED bulb replacement is to use some of the new really fancy LEDs like Luxeon Stars. Those LED towers just use Super Flux LEDs which are brighter than the regular 2-legged LEDs, but not nearly as bright as Luxeon Stars.

Their bright "filament" is only bright enough to be a parking lamp.

I just don't understand what is wrong here. I had every bulb in the Z changed to LED's. They were incredibly bright. I'm not understanding why everyone is saying they are too dim. I know mine werent.