TRYING EVERYTHING ROUGH IDLE ????

89Cutlass

I have been lucky with my 89 Cutlass 2.8l i bought of someones front yard for $750. Ive had it 2 years and since i have an error on the dash that normally displays the milage I have no idea how many miles are on itt and all ive had to do is put on new tires,brakes,plugs,wires change oil. besides other mods ive done for my own resons. But ive always had a little bit of a rough idle and and rough feel even in the seat of the car its great once your moving has tons of power. But when your sitting there or just barley moving in Neutral or Park its pretty rough. cant ever figure out were its coming from heres a list of new parts ive changed within the last 6months.

Battery

Alternator

Plugs

Wires

Intake gaskets,and throttle body

air filter

catalytic converter(two weeks ago) thought it was that for a long time

fuel pump

cleaned throttle body twice

IAC

tranny mod valve ( the vacume line that goes from tranny to throttle body)

thats about it. Guys please give me your info on what you would do. I love this car and i plan to keep it until it just wont go no more.

actually i forgot to mention i changed every vacum line i could find including the ones under the plenum,egr,the 4 coming out of the throttle body. Im almost conviced its a coil pack. because the 2 plugs that come of one of my coils get a little white ashy deposits on them after a while. It could also be the 02 sensor but i dont think it could make it idle that rough and missfire.

The O2 does play a part in fuel delivery, but it shouldnt make it missfire. Coil pack maybe. Have you done an idle relearn recently?? Sometimes, thats all it is, disconnect the battery for like 10 minutes, reconnect, the start the car, put it in drive, and sit there with your foot on the brake, for like 5 minutes, then turn it off. Restart it and you should be good to go

Robby

The funny thing is its been like this since ive had it for 2 years and not really gotten any worse, and ive kept the car maintained good. Oil,plugs,wires,misc filters. Wierd ill try that idle relearn thing, but i think ive tried it before. Im thinking a coil.

Wont a cam being worn out cause them to idle ruff like a sbc does.Have you checked your timing belt it might be stretched and need replacing.I seen a cam out of a 3.1 with a 100k plus miles on it and the lobes were about completly rounded.

Wont a cam being worn out cause them to idle ruff like a sbc does.Have you checked your timing belt it might be stretched and need replacing.I seen a cam out of a 3.1 with a 100k plus miles on it and the lobes were about completly rounded.

Good idea, but on the 2.8L / 3.1L / 3100's there is no kevlar belt. Only a chain.

89Cutlass, you've done a ton... I wouldn't replace too much more unless you know for sure.

The Ignition Control Module is a good guess, but check it out... I hate guessing games.

- RedFox340

see the thing is really the car is very dependable ive drivin over 1000 miles straight none stop only for gas and does great 30+ mpg dosnt burn any oil. but the damn thing shakes while its idling and worse in drive. its more of a thing now that i have to fix to prove something to myself.

Im thinking i should take it to a shop and have them to a complete computer diag on it, that should tell me whats bad and whats not right ???

because i have a check for error codes and there are none. I no sometimes the sensors can be bad and not trigger the ecm.