1987 3.8 Question?

89oldscutlass

Does anyone know the hp rating of that year 3.8.Its pretty cool little engine came with factory headers and the intake looks like a tune port setup.The engines in a 1987 cutlass cierra fwd and is peppy as hell in that little car.Any info would be great guys.

It would be a LG3 Vin 3 - 150 HP. I should have the torque memorized but dont, around 200. This engine was a 90* Buick engine (now GM powertrain) used in Buick, Oldsmobiles, and Pontiac Bonnevilles. It underwent continous upgrades and is now the most successful/longevity passenger car engine GM has produced. It is a SFI engine not a Tuned port. It became the LN3 Vin C in 88 (165hp) It became a tuned port engine with the L27 in 91/92 (170hp) but soon became the L36 & SC L67 Series 1 then replaced and upgraded to the L36 (205hp)& SC L67 (240hp)Series II in 96 or 97 now there is a series III SC L67 going to be or already is available in the GP. I dont have all this struck to memory so dont quote me - its roughly accurate.

The 87 Cierra GT was a great looking car in my opinion. Very rare now adays. They made 2dr. Cierras and Buick Centurys at least until 1989 that I know for sure all pretty sharp but the GT had some GFX and other "sports" stuff going on. I dont know of a site nor have heard from someone "saving" one of these but someone out there must be.

Thanks for the info Steve.I was thinking that it might be a good swap out to get rid of my 2.8.The engine and tranny are in great shape and i can pick up the whole car dirt cheap from my stepfather whos up in the years and just wants to get rid of the car so he can get him a 4 banger.

If you dont already know - leave the engine harness on the engine and disconnect it at the firewall plug. Then save the ECM and plug ect. Then you'll just need to get it wired proper into your dash , not that its simple (just) . I dont know much about that swap but Im sure someone did it. Probably some engine mount issues to take care of. Lots of stuff in the engine compartment of my Regal in not located where they are in the two H bodys I have. The same with the 86 Riv. so there will be other fitment issues Im sure.