stlunatics2oo3

okay i recently put a gauges cluster in my 2.8 cutlass and i got a oil sender and that works great but i bought a new temp sensor and no signal on the temp gauge what is the problem . and the coolant temp gauge i changed was kinda directly below the throttle body so i hope that was what i needed to change cause that damn thing cost 21 bucks so help me okay

thanks in ahead

jeremy

I have changed both temp. related sensors and I'm pretty sure you changed the wrong one. I think the one you wanted to change is located way in the back of the engine on the rear head, near the firewall. Right now you have a "coolant temperature switch" and you need to change it to a "coolant temperature sensor".

Since you have a switch installed instead of a sensor the gauge will read 0 untill you have a overheat condition, that would normally cause the light to come on. Cause they only work one way.

I think the one you changed is for the cooling fans.

umm well the one of the far back that has a green wire coming out of it is that the one i needed to change cause the ppl. at car quest told me that the one i have is a coolant temperature sensor which i installed which is right under the thermostat thing so did i change the wrong one ????? i am not understandin this damn coolant shit lol if you have a pic of the part it would be great thanks

jeremy

These cars have 2 coolant temp sensor.

1 for the dash only.

1 for the ECM that tells the cooling fans when to turn on.

What people are saying is they think you changed the wrong one.

The one with the green lead is on the back corner of the cylinder head on the tranny side.

The little pics on the top left corner are zoomed in views:

Cooling fan sensor (I think you changed this one)

Fan+sensor+Big.jpg

Gauge sensor (This is the one you ned to change, from a switch to a sensor)

Gauge+sensor+big.jpg

update i got it to work i went to the junk yard and found a an international and took it off that so thanks for your helps and pics

jeremy

I dont know why they charged you $21 I got both the sensors for less then that.

Tell me how the installation of the new sensor goes, I had a real hard time with since its in such a tight spot. I might need to switch it again cause I'm going from a odometer, speedometer, gas cluster to a analog one. Unless you can give me some tips on reinstalling it I'm just gonna leave the temp gauge not working. Because last time it took me like 2 hours to replace it.

well i cut the old sensor wire and used a 15mm deep well socket and got it off and then with the new one i just tilted the motor forward and then used my fingers for a lil while till it got tight and then i used a 15 mm open end wrench for the rest of the job took me about a half an hour

jeremy

Tilting the engine sounds like a pita, I think I'll just leave the switch in when I do my cluster swap. If my car gets real hot then the temp gauge will move anyways.

How did you hook up the tach?

well i spliced into the orange aldl wire ( the thing you use a scan tool on ) and it worked great but i think maybe you could maybe get the coolant one by leaving the motor the alone and maybe just take out the air box and stuff and then you would have a clear shot but the way i hooked up my gauges is i went to the yard and took it off so i cut the wires running to the gauge i cut long so i could splice no poppin wires out and mine works great so it is up to you

jeremy

All I have to do is splice in to the aldl harness, before I was told I need to splice a white wire under the hood and bring it through the firewall and into the cluster.

yeah i tried the white wire bullshit i never got it to work so trust me it is the orange wire on the aldl harness just splice into it and make sure it is tight to it and wham it will work