Do any W's get seatbelt pretensioners?

compu_85

Question: Do any W's get seatbelt pretensioners? I'm pretty sure our 02 doesn't have them, but would like to know.

(seatbelt pretensioners a explosive devices, like airbags. They 'deploy' with the airbags, and snap the belt tight. The ones that I've seen are a tube mounted on the floor by the B pillar with a cable running out of them, connected to the retractor)

-Jason

Ya... my 91 Jetta had 'loophole' belts as well... slightly different then the GM ones, the retractors were in the middle of the car, and the buckle was on the door frame. The lap belt was optional, because there is a big steel bar running the length of the car under the dashboard :eek:

A nice annoying feature is that the car wouldn't start unless the door mounted belts were buckled. The first thing I did to the car after I got it was disable that feature. The 2nd thing was to retrofit 3 point belts from an earlier car.

Back on topic:

What about the airbag equipped Ws? Do they have them?

-J

Usually I keep up on safety stuff, but I had never heard of active seatbelt pretensioners till this post - well, I knew Mercedes had them as part of an accident prevention package on the previous and current gen S-Class. Apparently they've been available since the 1981 S-Class, wow.

All I could find on Google relating to GM is the 00-02 Cadillac Devilles had them and so do the 07-up Yukon, Escalade and Tahoe. Little clues in the Google search results indicate 04 Malibu and Canyon had them too. Not much else I could find, there's reference to them on B-body DTC's.

I'm pretty sure my 94 w/airbag has no pretensioners.

From what I understand they tighten up the belt when your about to bite it. There is some sort of sensor or something that can tell when a crash is imminent and tightens the belts so there's no slack.

Well yea, we have the inertia switch that will lock it under rapid deceleration... but beyond that there's nothing.

edit: i haven't been able to spell at all tonight.

pretensioners rely on the same crash sensors that the airbags use...like an airbag they EXPLODE upon vehicle impact and draw the seatbelt tighter at that time.. U vans had them since 1997 G vans since 2004 blah blah just more stuff to break or blow up in your face just wear your seatbelts and we wont need all this govermental "protection"

pretensioners rely on the same crash sensors that the airbags use...like an airbag they EXPLODE upon vehicle impact and draw the seatbelt tighter at that time.. U vans had them since 1997 G vans since 2004 blah blah just more stuff to break or blow up in your face just wear your seatbelts and we wont need all this govermental "protection"

It's not governmental, it's voluntary. If they didn't work, Mercedes wouldn't have been using them for 25-years. Like all safety equipment, given a choice, I'd rather have it than not.

. At 0:21 you can see what the pretensioner does.

Have any of you ridden on a Ford from the late 80s / early 90s? They seem to have an anti-tensioner on the seatbelts... they ratchet out and you have to pull them away till they click to make them tight again :eek:

-J