Brake lights stay on all the time

BuickMan

I had the same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago when I replaced my PMIII- you have a bad stop lamp switch- should be less than $20 new at your local auto parts store. I even had the local dealership put the new switch in for me- it is in a bitch of a place to replace, plus, working on your car when it is 0*F outside isn't fun- cost me $80 total.

Try adjusting the switch first. It may be too far away from the brake pedal and not making the proper contact with it to depress the switch. Although I've heard the 88-93's are a bit different, when I had the same problem on my Regal, I went under the dash, grabbed the switch and forced it towards the brake pedal. Initially I pressed it in too far and needed to pull back on the brake pedal to push it back out, but I eventually found its sweet spot...

Here You Go, I Don't Have a scanner so I apologize for the crappy quality but my phone isn't much better but you should be able to see it well enough to understand how to adjust it.

01-21-07_1728.jpg

01-21-07_1727.jpg

holy crap, I tried and tried and I cant reach the damn thing, my fingers are just too big. the steering column is in the way. :confused?: looks like this is not an easy fix. I might have to take it to the shop instead of taking everything apart to get to it

Yep they suck. Especially if you have to do it in cold weather- I ended up bringing mine to the dealer and getting it done- cost me about $80.

the only thing holding me up is that thick plastic sleeve over the steering column. is there a way to push it out the way? can I just cut this thing off? I think its only purpose is cosmetic. I dont think anybody is going to get their foot caught in the steering column

I believe that plastic guard was to prevent rust also, that coupler is spring tensioned steel, and it rusts really quickly if exposed, but it might be fine. Did you lower the steering column?