Does a Radio from an 88 cutlass work inside a 94 cutlass

mixe olds

I’ve seen a radio with a cassette player in the j/y from an 88 2 door Cutlass. I would like to install it in my 94 cutlass conv. Would this work, and if it did, would it be a plug and play or would I have to do some wiring.

Thanks

ok are you going to install a cd changer in the center/glovebox. Plus a cd vs a original tape deck isnt much of a diff. the tape decks suked radio stations wouldnt come in (for me anyway). But if thats what you want go for it you may have to redo some wires. I would get the wireing chart (what color for powering what)cut every wire and sodder the matches together. It takes more tiime but it saves driving around trying to find a matching harrnes.

ok are you going to install a cd changer in the center/glovebox. Plus a cd vs a original tape deck isnt much of a diff. the tape decks suked radio stations wouldnt come in (for me anyway). But if thats what you want go for it you may have to redo some wires. I would get the wireing chart (what color for powering what)cut every wire and sodder the matches together. It takes more tiime but it saves driving around trying to find a matching harrnes.

Really? these radios seem to have the strongest signal pickup that i've tested, although them seem to gain reception from 88 through 94. Comparing radios.... I was able to compare my 93's radio (not OEM to the model year) with a OEM one in another members GEN II GP. mine picked up 20 stations and his picked up two!!!

I prefer the factory look myself.

Does your car have SWRC? if so you can't use the 88 radio. otherwise grab it if it's cheap/warrentied. What will it cost? There will be more.

Really? these radios seem to have the strongest signal pickup that i've tested, although them seem to gain reception from 88 through 94. Comparing radios.... I was able to compare my 93's radio (not OEM to the model year) with a OEM one in another members GEN II GP. mine picked up 20 stations and his picked up two!!!

I prefer the factory look myself.

Does your car have SWRC? if so you can't use the 88 radio. otherwise grab it if it's cheap/warrentied. What will it cost? There will be more.

It will be about $20 buck. The only bad thing is when the previous owner installed there radio they cut out the wireing adatper to make the new radio work. What is a (SWRC)?

• 3 weeks later...

ok so my 94 cutty does not have swrc, how could i go about adding this feature as i am going to purchase the wheel with the controls on it. i found a 94 cutty conv in my local J/Y and i am going to pull it once i find out

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

ok so my 94 cutty does not have swrc, how could i go about adding this feature as i am going to purchase the wheel with the controls on it. i found a 94 cutty conv in my local J/Y and i am going to pull it once i find out

Not tooooo hard. I'm doing it right now.

wait, a 94 wheel into a 94 right?

I mean to write a write-up soon

you need to verify whether your car can take swrc at all!!!!!!!!

if it can, you...

you must get the SWRC unit, the swrc coil and....

I have determined that my 95 CS is not SWRC pre-wired in the dash harness, meaning yours may not be... unless yours has the autmatic cloimate control.

starting a write-up soon.

for now... someone please link discostudd's write-up!

it is a 94 with airbag. mine has no digital climate control, and i am going to get the wheel and the contact coil behind it for now. i know my 92 gp had the feature and it has some clear box in the column also. it looks like my wheel but with buttons on either side. im wondering if the one at the J/Y is a 95 because i think i may be wrong about the climate control i think it has it. im not sure what to do buy i would love to have both features on mine

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

1994 and 1995 columns as well as airbags should be the same.

Almost. column shifted models have different shift levers, and they added electric shift inter-lock in 95. but they will swap.

it is a 94 with airbag. mine has no digital climate control, and i am going to get the wheel and the contact coil behind it for now. i know my 92 gp had the feature and it has some clear box in the column also. it looks like my wheel but with buttons on either side. im wondering if the one at the J/Y is a 95 because i think i may be wrong about the climate control i think it has it. im not sure what to do buy i would love to have both features on mine

remember a 95 has the ergonomic dash. I'm about to start a write-up on saginaw column SWRC. the square column SWRC is different, and has the clear box you mention. The saginaw column will be easier to install as it is more self-contained. all the electronics are in the switches.

really, you need:

the SWRC airbag

the SWRC clock spring (it has two connectors coming out oif each end.

the connector which can be de-pinned and repined into the connector where the column wiring joins the body. (thus the difference between a SWRC and non-SWRC switch is the pigtail, nothinhg is different on the switch itself!)

pinouts of where to run wires under the dash.

Keep in mind that you will have unused buttons for the Climate Control unit you add Auto CC. Instructions for doing so are on another site. I will link later.

I just completed and tested mine. I tried using a 98 Monte carlo SWRC unit is my 95 CS, but it does not have the right values to operate my radio. I only have volume control, and the rest are scrambled. Keep in mind that I will not be ungrading to ACC unless I happen to find one someday. I actually plan to build my own switches that will be mounted behind the steering wheel at a later date.