Storing car tips

joey b

It has been covered, however I have a slightly different situation.

It will be stored from now until August. It will mostly be indoors and MAY have to be driven at the spur of the moment. I may not be able to start or run it weekly or even monthly.

I would like some advice on what to do to avoid pests and wear from nonuse. I considered also putting 20W50 oil in as will is thicker and will remain adhered to the parts longer due to its higher viscosity. I also bought a trickle charger for it. I am also considering putting in higer mileage oil because the engine does currently have 60K on it. I have always run full syn, but the benefits for that are going to be nil due to its nonuse and I will change the oil in August when I pull it back out for good.

Thanks for the help.

Looks like you got a pretty good idea on what to do. here's a couple other ideas.

-Make sure to use a fuel stabilizer.

-Put the car up on jack stands on the frame. this keeps the suspension from being flexed for months on end, and keeps the tires from flat-spotting.

Easy Tips:

Change the oil before hand, but use your regular oil. Over the duration of time we're talking about, your regular oil is fine. Also note there is no need to change it once you dig your car out of storage, but changing it beforehand removes any acids and moisture that might be on the oil. (60k is low miles.)

It appears you'll be keeping it on your regular tires. You can do jack stands, however I'd opt for the "push it an inch or two" every week. Perfect would be to have a set of storage rims. I prefer to keep the suspension loaded, as this is the natural state of the car.

If you are going to park it, leave it. Don't start it every week, blah blah blah. Starting is hard on an engine, throw in the fact that you're going to create more moisture in the exhaust than anything...so park it and leave it. It will be fine.

Sticky traps - good for rodent control. Place Baking Soda on a paper plate inside the car to suck up odors and leave a window cracked to allow moisture to escape.

A car cover is a nice option to keep the car dust free. A breathable material will keep moisture off the car.

Clean and wash the car as best you can before storing it. Getting stuff that eats paint is a requirement. It's going to be there a long time.

As for the battery, if you can, pull it and bring it inside. Maybe it is warm where you live, but here in Maine, this cold will kill a battery...and I don't mean the charge, I mean it will reduce the service life to about 2 to 3 years. I keep mine in the basement where it is about 50 degrees. They love it.

trickle charger sounds good, and Ive heard parking on wood keeps the tires from flat spotting. Im trying the wood thing out, but it gets moved every few weeks so that cant fully be tested. I wouldnt relieve the suspension though, because cars otherwise sit for 20+ years on the suspension, so I cant see lifiting it being good for it unless you plan on replacing it in the summer anyways. as for mice and such, moth balls around the car, as well as traps and any other household remedy should suffice, just be sure to check up on it every once in a while