Pics of Chevy Radio installed:

Brian P

Sounds better than the alpine I had, more powerful, looks better, easier to use, bought an adapter for my Alpine changer and it works like it came with the car. Oh and that other thing? Yeah that's the $20 HUD/dash/harnesses/bracket/dimmer setup I promised y'all I'd find. Remember?

gen2chevy_001.jpg

gen2chevy_003.jpg

gen2chevy_006.jpg

gen2chevy_007.jpg

Thanks, yeah it shocked the hell out of me how good it sounds. I was like "for $9, if it sounds average it's worth it" I got more bass output and overall sound quality from this compared to the Alpine, and I thought the Alpine was great!! (and ugly) All I need now is a tech manual showing the wiring of the steering whell controls, and holy shit!! But I'm not going to get rid of my steering wheel: I have another trick up my sleeve :twisted:

Who said anything about it bolting in? :) I had to cut off the stock metal mounting brackets on the sides (or just bending them back and forth worked too) then I used the shallowest screws I could find and used them to mount the Cutlass bottom bracket, then I had to use a cutter wheel on a drill and take a 3" piece of the dash carrier out in order to give the wiring harness space. Then take into account that when I was 16 I CUT THE STOCK RADIO PLUG and soldered in an Alpine one, so I had to resolder in a stock plug, the wire locations were the same except the dimmer wires, and I spliced the ground and rear speaker wires just behind the radio to install the speaker-output-to-amp-preout-converter (for the door speakers and sub) then the Alpine CD changer adapter plugged right into the back. Now I still have to install a factory antenna wire because the last owner installed an aftermarket style antenna wire from the dash to the trunk, and F---ing CUT the stock antenna wire in the trunk (WHY!!!!!!!!!) so I stripped the insulation off the end of the factory wire and shoved it into the factory ('95) power antenna :dammit: so I get most stations.

References:

Back of the Chev radio, note the harness location: TOO TIGHT of a fit without cutting the dash a little. Also note the side brackets http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=38639&item=2416954510

Alpine changer interface

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3027828918&category=14932&rd=1

So with the cost of the $20 line-converter added, nd shipping, I spent under $60. I'd do it to a hundred other cars if I had em

so, that came out of a Malibu? looks exactly(probably is) the same as my bro's cd player in his 00 S-10 8)

EDIT: btw, looks awesome, good job!

Practically the whole chevy lineup got em as an option, but some mount differently, not that it'd matter for my application...I wonder if the 00 S10 mounts the radio like the 94-97 style dash because my dad is sick of his Kenwood piece of crap that doesn't keep time! :)

that looks really nice.

call my stupuid, is it just a tape deck? Didnt know. I dont know what I would do without mine, i love having both. And recently ive been pulling out more Van Halen and other old tapes out, and they still sound AMAZING!

Jon

WOW, good find on the HUD! :rocking: I looked for 8yrs and couldn't even find one when I had budgeted $300 for it.

Did you ever get the display dimming sorted out on that stereo?

Shoulda told me you needed a line output converter. I yanked one out of the 94 and I sure don't need it.

Goat- yeah the head unit is a cassette, which controls my Alpine changer, so once again I get the best of both worlds. My car has never had an in dash CD player and this is my 3rd stereo :) However I did it for the price. A cassette Chevy radio goes for $15 (like mine, on average) while the CD equivalent goes for over $130 average on ebay. And since I like having the changer, and the interface adapter is readily available, I figure why not.

Gnat- I got lucky and my friend bought 2 line converters new and I just bought 1 off of him that he didn't need. But before I hooked it up, hearing the bass coming from the 6x9's again reminded me of the original Delco radio I had in there with no CD and no cassette lol. As for the dimming, it does dim, if I keep it on the step below "max". If I go lower than that, it starts flickering. I'm not totally sure if I used the right wire for VF dim because the '90 wire colors are slightly different than in the '89 book I had at the time. I think there's another brown wire in the car harness that I didn't try out. I also noticed that on "max" the VF doesn't go to full brightness, so that may be a clue. Time to probe with a multimeter. The backlighting works fine. I also want the pinout for the speed signal so I can get the SCV to operate. The HUD was pure luck but the dashboard needs repair, the plastic carrier for the glovebox door was shattered and beyond repair, and there's warpage on the edge where that fake sewing line is. Easy fix, just haven't had the time, but I'd love to hack my other dash since it's flawless. Only problem will be the 2 clips where the HUD screws into, in front of the cluster. Going to have to fabricate something there. OK enough rambling :lol:

Yes, very helpful I greatly appreciate it! Now wires 14, 15 got me wondering what the heck they do, because I was considering getting steering controls and using them, maybe that's 15!

Yep, 15 E&C DATA is the same name as the wire used in the 89-90 stereos for the SWC input, so that might work for you.

14 goes directly to the steering wheel controls on airbag cars only, each button has a certain resistance.

Sorry for butting in, but will one of these line level converters allow me to hook up a computer sound card to the stock radio (cheap mp3 player :D) Its a 94 pontiac casette/radio and the sound card has the standard head phone jacks. As you can tell i know jack shit about stereo stuff.

Not unless the factory stereo has line-level inputs, which I doubt it has.

Your best bet is to use either a cassette adapter (cassette shaped thing with a wire hanging out that plugs into your computer) or an RF Modulator which will allow you to hear your computer by tuning into a specific frequency on your FM tuner.

Hey Shawn, I was wondering if you could send me the wiring diagram as well. I have a factory cd deck out of a 95 J-body (Z24) was wondering if this would work in my Cutlass (more specifically if it would support the SWC) Any help would greatly be appreciated, Thanks

Mike

michaelyuen@hotmail.com

Yep, 15 E&C DATA is the same name as the wire used in the 89-90 stereos for the SWC input, so that might work for you.

14 goes directly to the steering wheel controls on airbag cars only, each button has a certain resistance.

ok thanks :) So these airbag controls, do they have anything between them like the 89+ ones like that interface module? I'm putting controls in but they will be custom installed in either the steering wheel or center armrest....just thinking about it

Mike,

You've got mail.

Brian,

No, there is nothing between the airbag controls and the stereo.

The 89+ SWC's and interface module should probably be able to control the 95 stereo via E&C bus though.

You called me GOAT!

I was thinking about that after the post, with the CD deck. SO your telling me a brand new Tape deck (well, close) is only 15 on ebay? Wowewowow. Nice.

jon

You called me GOAT!

I was thinking about that after the post, with the CD deck. SO your telling me a brand new Tape deck (well, close) is only 15 on ebay? Wowewowow. Nice.

Don't be so suprised, tape in the 00's is what 8-track was in the 90's! :lol:

When I bought a factory CD player for my TGP, they let me have a tape deck out of a 90 STE for free. :)

You called me GOAT!

Don't be so suprised, tape in the 00's is what 8-track was in the 90's! :lol:

When I bought a factory CD player for my TGP, they let me have a tape deck out of a 90 STE for free. :)

What the hell is a tape deck :?: :lol:

see, my thing was just something so new for so cheap. Like the radio too. Yeah, it may be outdated, but im sure people would still use em. The truck had one when it was new (01), and they go for like $100

jon

Yeah the cassettes are worth crap, ESPECIALLY stock ones. I mean, I bet most people that bid over $100 on GM CD players probably originally had just cassette and want something that will directly replace it. Nobody is going to "upgrade" to a cassette. And the best thing is that after the Alpine adapter is installed, the stereo acts like it IS a CD player. All controls on the head unit are exactly the same, same display etc. I was able to get the sound and all features that the CD player version has at like 90% discount lol

Mike,

You've got mail.

Brian,

No, there is nothing between the airbag controls and the stereo.

The 89+ SWC's and interface module should probably be able to control the 95 stereo via E&C bus though.

That's good I'll probably grab a set of steering controls off a later model car and modify them. I'd hate to have to get "lucky" and find a good working '89+ turn signal switch, cancel cam, wire up the interface and hope it works, then get another steering wheel etc etc thanks again for the info!